Connect with us

Haiti

World Food Programme Ramping up to Reach 700,000 with Emergency Operations in Haiti

Published

on

WFP’s school feeding programme is considered the largest food safety net in Haiti. (Photo: WFP/ Alexis Masciarelli)

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti,
Monday December 9, 2019
– The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has
announced it is scaling up its operation to provide emergency food assistance
to 700,000 people. To reach them and deliver common humanitarian services, WFP
is appealing for US$62 million.

One in three Haitians, or 3.7 million people, need urgent
food assistance, including 1 million suffering severe hunger according to a
nationwide study conducted in August by the CNSA (National Coordination for
Food Security) with support from WFP and the Food and Agriculture Organization
of the United Nations.

“Poor Haitian families face a very dramatic situation. WFP
and its partners are doing their utmost to reach a growing number of vulnerable
people with emergency assistance,” said Miguel Barreto, WFP Regional Director
for Latin America and the Caribbean, who was on a field mission to Haiti last
week.

Millions of Haitians have been hit hard by rising prices, a
weakening local currency, and a drop in agricultural production. Social and
civil unrest over the past three months rendered many main roads impassable
too, further restricting access to food for poorer households. Recently, a
slight improvement in security allowed WFP to deliver food assistance to families
cut off since September.

Over the past three weeks, nearly 23,000 people have
received emergency food assistance in the Nord-Ouest department, defined by the
government’s report as the most food insecure in the country. WFP provides
families with enough food for a month.

WFP is also expanding distributions and providing cash and
vouchers to other departments affected by food insecurity. In November, 67,000
people were given cash so as local markets recover, households can purchase
food locally. So far in 2019, WFP has met the emergency food needs of 138,000
people across the country. New distributions and deliveries will be organized
whenever the security situation allows.

The unrest has hampered humanitarian organizations’ efforts
too. Transport of WFP food to many vulnerable communities, particularly using
the main roads between the capital Port-au-Prince and Artibonite and across southern
Haiti, has been affected.

“Despite these challenges, we are committed to ensure the
continuity of our assistance. It’s heart-warming to see schools reopening and
children able to attend class, as we also provide them with a hot meal. For
poor families, it is often the only meal they eat in a day,” said Barreto.

WFP’s school feeding programme provides meals to 300,000
children annually in 1,200 schools nationwide. It is considered the largest
food safety net in Haiti but only 60 per cent of schools have reopened since
the turmoil began three months ago.

To reach areas difficult or impossible to access by road,
WFP launched a three-month air operation in late November. A chartered Mi8-AMT
helicopter is providing reliable transport for cargo and staff from the entire
humanitarian community. It can carry up to 22 passengers or four tons of cargo.

For WFP, investing in sustainable solutions is key to addressing the root causes of food insecurity in Haiti. WFP significantly increased its support to local agriculture in line with Government plans to revitalize the agriculture sector as a means of tackling food insecurity.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Former Haitian Ambassador visits Charlottesville – – CBS19 News

Published

on

By

Former Haitian Ambassador visits Charlottesville –  CBS19 News

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Bahamas Government to Liberalize Investment Process for Areas Affected by Hurricane Dorian

Published

on

By

Hurricane Dorian caused US$3.5 billion in damages and losses, according to IDB and ECLAC.

NASSAU, The Bahamas, Friday January
17, 2020
– The
Government is looking to simplify investment requirements and expedite
investment applications for Bahamian and international investors for Abaco, the
Abaco Cays, and East End and West End, Grand Bahama, Prime Minister Dr Hubert
Minnis has announced.

“We will
liberalize the process of investment for the affected areas,” the Prime
Minister told hundreds of local and international delegates attending the
Hurricane Dorian Pledging Conference at the Baha Mar Convention Centre this
week.

“Hard and
difficult decisions must be made if we are to rebuild, rebuild quickly, smartly
and with resilience.”

Further
details are expected to be released in the weeks ahead, said Prime Minister
Minnis.

Representatives
of governments, multilateral agencies and financial institutions attended the
Pledging Conference, which was geared towards mobilizing recovering financing
for Hurricane Dorian. It was held under the theme ‘Rebuilding a Stronger and
More Resilient Bahamas’ and US$1.5 billion was pledged in recovery funding and
in-kind services, which was just under half the estimated losses and damage the
Category 5 hurricane caused when it made landfall in the archipelago in
September 2019.

Abaco and
Grand Bahama reconstruction and recovery efforts are expected to get a boost
from the event which was organized by the Government of The Bahamas in
partnership with the United National Development Programme (UNDP).

The Prime
Minister said the Conference and other such efforts are an essential part of
the rebuilding process.

The
Government has already prepared specific reconstruction delivery plans, which
have been cross-referenced with the US$3.4 billion damage and loss assessment
by the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) and the United Nations Economic
Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (UNECLAC).

The plans
focus on housing, the environment and debris clean up, education, health,
infrastructure and the economy. From the reconstruction delivery plans,
specific project concepts have been identified.

“Let me
re-emphasize that private sector, NGO and international contributions must be
aligned with the priority areas of the Government of The Bahamas,” said Prime
Minister Minnis.

He noted
that progress is being made on the ground on Abaco, the Abaco Cays and Grand
Bahama, including the removal of debris and the restoration of various
services.

“Despite the progress, someone visiting, especially Abaco and the Abaco Cays, these four months later, will be shocked by the scope and scale of the devastation and the enormous, complex and many challenges of rebuilding,” he added, stressing that there is still a “very long road ahead”.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
17/01/2020 10:29:20

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

7 ex-sénateurs portent plainte au CEP :

ALOMON (OPL), Dieupie Chérubin (KID), Ronald Lareche (VERITE), Nenel Cassy (FANMI LAVALAS) et Youri Latortue (AAA), portent plainte auprès du Conseil Électoral Provisoire, contestant la décision du Président Jovenel Moïse de mettre fin à leur mandat. Une démarche qui n’est pas supporté par les Sénateurs toujours en poste à la Chambre haute. Lire aussi : https://www.haitilibre.com/article-29760-haiti-flash-les-senateurs-reagissent.html

Croix-des-Bouquets : arrestation de 4 hommes armés :

Jeudi la Police Nationale d’Haïti (PNH) affectés au Commissariat de la Croix-des-bouquets a procédé à l’arrestation de 4 individus. Le premier a été arrêté avec en sa possession une arme illégale, les 3 autres ont été arrêté dans la zone de jumecourt (Tremblay 1). Au total 2 armes illégles ont été saisies.

Inauguration de la route Mombin Crochu/Vallières :

Ce vendredi 17 janvier aura lieu l’inauguration du tronçon de route Mombin Crochu / Vallières (Nord-Est) en présence du Président de la République Jovenel Moïse dans le cadre du programme baptisé « Louvri wout wo nòdès ».

« Les Haïtiens méritent un gouvernement réactif » :

« Les Haïtiens méritent un gouvernement réactif qui répond aux besoins économiques et sécuritaires. Le Chancelier Bocchit Edmond et moi avons discuté de la coopération, des questions régionales et de la nécessité d’un accord politique sur la formation du Gouvernement et d’un calendrier électoral en Haïti » a déclaré Michael G. Kozak, Secrétaire adjoint a.i. du Bureau des affaires de l’hémisphère occidental du Département d’État américain Lire aussi : https://www.haitilibre.com/article-29747-haiti-politique-jovenel-moise-n-abusera-pas-des-decrets-affirme-le-chancelier-edmond.html

L’opposition contre la dictature… :

Les signataires de l’opposition de l’accord de Marriott https://www.haitilibre.com/article-29254-haiti-politique-entente-politique-de-transition-texte-de-l-accord-de-l-opposition.html promettent d’utiliser tous les moyens pacifiques nécessaires afin d’empêcher le rétablissement par Jovenel Moise de la dictature dans le pays, annonçant la mise en place d’un mécanisme de concertation permanente permettant de mettre en application l’accord de Marriott.

Le Parti Fusion face au vide institutionnel :

Le Parti Fusion des sociaux démocrates haïtiens souligne la nécessité pour l’Exécutif d’adopter des dispositions pour combler le vide institutionnel au Parlement soutenant que les 10 sénateurs siégeant au grand corps ne peuvent pas poser d’actions constitutionnelles.

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending