Connect with us

Haiti

Treat Climate Crisis with ‘Greatest Urgency’, Bahamas PM Tells UN Assembly

Published

on

Bahamas Prime Minister Hubert Minnis addressing the UN General Assembly. (Photo credit: UN/Loey Felipe)

NEW YORK, United States, Monday
September 30, 2019 –
Hurricane
Dorian, one of the most destructive Atlantic storms ever recorded, “is a
generational tragedy” for The Bahamas, Prime Minister Hubert Minnis has told
the UN General Assembly. And he has urged fellow world leaders to treat the
climate crisis as the greatest challenge to the planet.

His plea
came nearly one month after Hurricane Dorian devastated two major population
centres in the archipelagic nation – Abaco and Grand Bahama.

“I add my
urgent plea to the cries and voices of many other leaders and citizens of the global
commons, urging the nations of the world here assembled to treat the global
climate emergency as the greatest challenge facing humanity,” he said.

“It is a
challenge that, if not treated with the greatest urgency, will continue to
ravage small island states, such as The Bahamas, and will also have devastating
impact on more developed states.”

Hurricane
Dorian slammed the two islands in the northern Bahamas, causing a confirmed 56
deaths so far. Six hundred people are still missing. At its peak, the hurricane
packed winds of 185 miles per hour and generated storm surges as high as 23
feet.

Prime
Minister Minnis described Hurricane Dorian as a “physical apocalypse” for some
communities including Marsh Harbour, the formerly picturesque main town on
Abaco, now reduced to rubble.

Although
the hurricane has left Bahamians heartbroken, he said citizens are grateful for
international assistance received in the aftermath.

Prior to
Dorian, The Bahamas was hit by major hurricanes from 2015 to 2017. Hurricanes
in the region have grown “increasingly lethal” over the past three decades,
according to Minnis.

He added
that because the islands of The Bahamas stretch over some 180,000 square miles
of ocean, the country can be affected by any number of hurricane trajectories.

“Our heating climate results in the increased severity and frequency of hurricanes for our archipelago, and also destroys our natural defences against such storms. Coral and mangrove degradation, land erosion, increased tidal movements and the myriad other consequences of global warming, increase our vulnerability and handicap our ability to develop and to establish effective resilience,” the Prime Minister continued. The Bahamian leader said small island countries “are on the frontlines of being swallowed into an abyss created initially by human activity and increasingly by inaction”.

And he expressed support for the UN Secretary-General’s strategy to address the climate crisis, including his call to provide concessionary financing to affected nations.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

US Retains Hundreds of Illegally Acquired Artifacts to Haiti

Published

on

By

Some of the artifacts returned to Haiti by the FBI Art Crime Team.

WASHINGTON, United States, Thursday February 20, 2020 – The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Art Crime Team has returned more than 450 cultural and historical artifacts to Haiti in the largest repatriation of art from the United State to the French-speaking Caribbean nation .

Representatives
from the US Embassy in Port-au-Prince, the US Department of State Bureau of
Educational and Cultural Affairs, Haiti’s Ministry of Culture and
Communication, and the Bureau National d’Ethnologie of Haiti joined the FBI Art
Crime Team for a repatriation ceremony at the Bureau of Ethnology in Port-au-Prince
to return the items.

The 479
Haitian artifacts were discovered in 2014, when the FBI Art Crime Team seized
more than 7,000 items from the private collection of an amateur archaeologist
Donald Miller, who had likely acquired the items in contravention of state and
federal law and international treaties. This was the largest single recovery of
culture property in FBI history.

Miller
amassed his collection over seven decades from locations around the world and
kept it on display in his basement in Waldron, Indiana prior to turning it over
to the FBI. Since 2014, the FBI Art Crime Team has been working to identify the
rightful home of each item in the seized collection.

The
repatriation returns significant historical property, long missing, to Haiti.

“The FBI
recognizes the significant role artifacts like these play in a culture’s
history and identity. We are honoured to return these pieces to the people of
Haiti,” said Assistant Director Calvin Shivers of the FBI’s Criminal
Investigative Division.

“The FBI is
committed to returning stolen art and other objects of cultural and historical
significance to the communities to which they belong.”

The FBI’s work on this case is ongoing.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
20/02/2020 11:21:11

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

Incendie de l’orphelinat : Les responsables convoqués au Parquet

Le Substitut du Commissaire du gouvernement, Frantz Louis Juste a annoncé en conférence de presse, que le Parquet est saisi du dossier de l’incendie de l’orphelinat de l’église de la compréhension de la Bible depuis le jour du drame et que les responsables de cet orphelinat sont convoqués au parquet vendredi matin 21 février. Rappelons que le bilan de l’incendie est lourd : 20 morts (18 enfants et 2 adultes) https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30063-haiti-securite-le-bilan-de-l-incendie-de-l-orphelinat-revu-a-la-hausse.html et 28 enfants survivants. Arielle Jeanty, Directrice Générale de l’Institut du Bien-Etre Social et de la Recherche a révélé avoir appris sur CNN, que cet orphelinat disposait d’un budget de 6.6 millions de dollars !

Cap-Haïtien : Sweet Micky divise

L’organisation « Christophiens en Marche » proteste contre la participation de Sweet Micky au défilé carnavalesque du Cap-Haïtien, rappelant que le carnaval capois a toujours été à l’image de la population et que « laisser Sweet Micky participer au défilé ne ferait que souiller l’héritage que Septen, Tropic, Lakol, Kazak, Feeling et tant d’autres formations ont tenu à léguer aux générations suivantes. » Notez que mercredi dans la matinée, le char de Sweet Micky est arrivé au Cap-Haïtien, suscitant curiosité et admiration de la population. Le comité est resté silencieux sur la participation de la formation musicale Sweet Micky au défilé du Carnaval.

Lancement du Fonds BRH pour la recherche :

Mercredi, au centre de convention et de documentation de la Banque de la République d’Haïti (BRH), Jean Baden Dubois le Gouverneur de BRH a lancé le Fonds BRH pour la recherche et le développement (FRD-BRH) destiné à promouvoir et appuyer la recherche scientifique dans diverses disciplines notamment l’économie et la finance. Ce fond sera financé par le secteur privé sans exclure la possibilité d’apport financier de bailleurs internationaux ou d’institutions nationales.

Renforcer l’indépendance du pouvoir judiciaire :

Le représentant du Programme des Nations Unies pour le Développement (PNUD-Haïti) s’est entretenu cette semaine avec le Président et le Secrétariat technique du Conseil Supérieur du Pouvoir Judiciaire (CSPJ) sur les principaux enjeux du secteur judiciaire en Haïti ainsi que sur la collaboration actuelle et future en faveur du renforcement de l’indépendance du pouvoir judiciaire.

Cap-Haïtien : calendrier des activités

Ce jeudi 20 les activités carnavalesques débuteront par le Carnaval des tout-petits. Vendredi 21 aura lieu le Carnaval des étudiants puis suivront les trois jours gras du Carnaval du Cap-Haïtien

COVID-19 Bilan mondial 20 février :

Jeudi 20 février 2020, le nombre de personnes contaminées dans le monde par le Coronavirus COVID-19 (cas confirmés en laboratoire et clinique) s’élève à 75,727 une hausse de 526 (+0.7%%) par rapport à la veille https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30068-haiti-actualite-zapping.html Le nombre de nouveaux cas de contamination au coronavirus en Chine est au plus bas depuis près d’un mois ; 2129 décès (+5.8%) soit 117 de plus que la veille (2,012) ; 16,526 personnes guéries soit 1,503 personnes (-23,4%) de moins par rapport à la veille mais 7.7 fois plus de guérison que de décès contre 7.4 fois la veille.

On recense à ce jour hors de Chine, 1,015 personnes contaminées confirmées dans le monde (+13%) soit 117 cas de plus.

Nombre de décès à l’étranger inchangé (5) : 1 au Philippine, 2 à Hong Kong, 1 au Japon , et 1 en France. (l’Iran a annoncé deux morts en cours de vérification).

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Koulibaly To Miss Barcelona? – The Haitian Times

Published

on

By

Photo Credit: Football Italia

Kalidou Koulibaly is
still not training regularly with Napoli, so it’s feared he will miss both
games with Brescia and Barcelona.

The Senegal
international has been struggling since a serious thigh strain on December 15,
only returning for one appearance against Lecce on February 9.

He looked very rusty
and was left out of the squad for the trip to Cagliari, as coach Gennaro
Gattuso confirmed the defender still felt pain in his thigh.

According to Sky Sport Italia, Koulibaly did not train today either and is not expected to be in with the group tomorrow.

read more

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.

Haitian Times

Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending