The Route du Rhum Destination Guadeloupe will now start on 9th November 2022
by La Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe 6 Nov 03:47 PST
Arnaud Pilpré © Arnaud Pilpré / #RDR2022
Postponed from 1302hrs (local) today (Sunday) due to forecasted stormy winds and huge seas expected in the English Channel, the re-scheduled start for the 12th edition of the Route du Rhum-Destination Guadeloupe – the solo ocean race from Saint Malo to Guadeloupe – will now be on Wednesday 9th November at 1415hrs (local) with favourable weather forecast for the record 138 boat fleet.
Now, given the new start time, the skippers can plan ahead for the rescheduled start. At 1000hrs this morning (Sunday) at a press conference in Saint-Malo, the organiser OC Sport Pen Duick and the Race Director, Francis Le Goff officially announced that the 12th edition would start on Wednesday afternoon at 1415hrs.
“At that point, the weather should be easier to deal with as there will be a 15 knot westerly wind,” explained Le Goff. “The situation will be favourable and allow the boats to make their way out of the English Channel. The forecasts seem very reliable with a probability of more than 90%. The start of the race should be much less hazardous than if the start had gone ahead on Sunday.”
The skippers taking part will attend a weather briefing on the day before the start. The 38 IMOCAs and eight Ocean Fifty boats will leave the docks in Saint-Malo on Tuesday afternoon (times to be announced). The Class40 and Rhum Mono and Rhum Multi categories will make their way through the locks on Wednesday morning. The arrangements will be similar to those in place on Friday for the Ultim 32/23 with stands in place allowing the public to watch the event.
As planned, today will be the final day that the Village will be open with closing time at 1700hrs. This will allow visitors to Saint-Malo to come and admire the boats still present in the docks before they race across the Atlantic.
The organisers made all the modifications to the arrangements in record time, allowing everyone to prolong the excitement leading up the start of the race, thanks to the support of those alongside the organiser, OC Sport Pen Duick, including the Guadeloupe Region, the City of Saint-Malo, the Brittany Region, the CIC bank, national authorities, volunteers from the Bay of Saint-Malo Sailing Club and everyone else involved.
Find out more at www.routedurhum.com/en
Team Malizia update
Many sailors had expressed concern over the past 24 hours about the situation which they considered very serious. Boris Herrmann described this decision as a “good decision”. The team will stay focused and ready while waiting for the organisers to find a next more favourable window for a new start on Tuesday November 8 or Wednesday November 9.
Watch skipper Boris Herrmann’s and Team Malizia co-skipper Will Harris’ first reactions after the announcement, as well as their explaining of the weather situation:
Credit: Source link