Connect with us

Entertainment

Stormzy’s Glastonbury performance ‘will be iconic’ but he won’t be dancing

Published

on


Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionHighlights of Stormzy’s set at Glastonbury 2017

When he strides onstage on Friday night, Stormzy will make history as the first British rapper to headline Glastonbury Festival.

His ascension to the top of the bill has been rapid – he’s only released one album – but the sense of anticipation is immense.

“I think it’s going to be amazing,” says fellow grime star Ghetts. “I think it’s going to be a shut-down.

“It’s probably the most energy that Glastonbury has ever seen. I know that sounds like a big statement but, trust me, it’s going to be crazy.”

“It’s like a moment in history,” agrees Stefflon Don, who plays the John Peel tent on Sunday.

“Stormzy always brings it with his live shows and I can’t wait to see what he brings to the Pyramid stage.

“I think and hope it will go down as one of the most memorable, iconic Glasto performances.”

Stormzy

Getty Images

We are going to show the world exactly why I managed to get here.

Stormzy, real name is Michael Omari, comes to Glastonbury off the back of his first number one hit, Vossi Bop, and a new, gospel-influenced single, Crown.

The track is a heartfelt reflection on his achievements, and the pressures of being seen as “the voice of the young black youth”.

It’s a label he’s embraced with typical thoughtfulness, launching a book imprint for new young writers, and establishing a scholarship at Cambridge University.

“I think Stormzy has done a fantastic job of finding the balance between representing his own truth, as well as the reality of black Britain and working class Britain,” says Julie Adenuga, from Apple Music’s Beats 1 Radio.

“It’s an extremely hard weight to carry, because we’re not all the same and on countless occasions he is often used as the poster boy for an entire community.

“To be able to stay true to his own goals and dreams but still fly the flag for his generation is commendable. It can’t be easy.”

Julie Adenuga, Beats 1 presenter

Getty Images

He told me he doesn’t like dancing because he’s too tall.

The 25-year-old hasn’t shied away from controversy, speaking out on institutionalised racism and police brutality. On stage at the 2018 Brits, where he won best male and best album, he called Theresa May a “criminal” for her response to the Grenfell disaster.

Vossi Bop, a song that’s ostensibly about a dance move his friend made up, also contains a pointed attack on Tory leadership candidate Boris Johnson.

So will he use his Glastonbury platform – broadcast live around the world – to make a big political statement?

“You never know with Stormzy,” says BBC 1Xtra’s DJ Target, who was one of the star’s early champions.

“If he does say anything outside of his music, it’ll be something that’s been very well thought-through. It won’t just be an off the cuff statement.

“He’s a great spokesperson for the people he represents, the people he knows are underserved, and not listened to.

“There are other artists in the world that have outbursts, who speak out of turn, but with Stormzy it never feels like an outburst, it feels like this is something he really wants to address, and I guess if he decides he wants to address something on Friday night it’ll have a huge impact.”

Image copyright
PA

Image caption

The star is likely to play hits including Big For Your Boots and Vossi Bop, and maybe some of his earlier freestyles

Stormzy isn’t the first British rapper to play the Pyramid Stage – Skepta, Tinie Tempah and Dizzee Rascal all paved the way, and grime has had a presence at the festival ever since DJ Cameo brought a whole crew of key London MCs including Trim and JME to the Roots Tent back in 2005.

There have been some lean times since then, but 2016 was a watershed year, with a day-long line up on the Sonic Stage featuring Kano, J-Hus, Nadia Rose and Novelist, which prompted a slew of articles about Glastonbury’s Grime Takeover.

This year, though, grime can be found in every corner of Worthy Farm, whether its Dave and Loyle Carner on the Other Stage, Octavian and Stefflon Don in the John Peel tent or AJ Tracey and Lady Leshurr in the Silver Hayes area.

Door ‘booted open’

“I remember doing Glastonbury as part of Roll Deep in 2010,” says DJ Target. “Tinie Tempah was on before us, then Bashy and Giggs. We were all on the East Dance stage and it kind of felt like that was our area within Glastonbury.

“And now – I just flipped through the line-up, and I’m literally going to be having 20-minute treks across Glastonbury to see everyone I want to see. They’re sprinkled throughout the whole festival, and in some stages they’re top or second-to-top billing. It’s going to be hard work to catch them all – but that’s a great problem to have.”

“What we’ve seen over the last few years, each milestone that’s been reached, you go, ‘Wow, is this as high as it can go, or is this another massive door that’s been booted open?’ and it’s mostly been the latter.

“Every time something like Stormzy headlining happens, it inspires the next artist to believe it’s achievable.”

Stefflon Don

Getty Images

I think and hope it will go down as one of the most memorable, iconic Glasto performances.

All eyes will inevitably be on the musician as he takes to the stage at 22:15 BST on Friday night.

Nobody knows quite what to expect – and the Croydon-born rapper hasn’t shared any clues about his performance, other than revealing it’ll feature a spectacular light show from Tim Routledge, who was behind Beyonce’s Formation tour and the Spice Girls’ recent stadium gigs.

But speaking to 1Xtra earlier this year, the star said: “We are going to show the world exactly why I managed to get here”.

“There were so many doubters being like, ‘Oh he hasn’t got no number one song’ or, ‘Oh he’s got one album out, he’s not ready’,” he added.

“If you think you’re going to give me that Glastonbury 2019 headline slot and I’m not going to give you an incredible performance you’ve gone mad – you’ve gone crazy.”

Festival organiser Emily Eavis, who booked him for the slot, has no doubts about his readiness.

“When I saw him play the 2017 festival on the Other Stage, I knew straight away that the next time he played he would be headlining the Pyramid,” she said.

“The reaction in the field was unbelievable. He’s got such a presence and the energy is incredible.”

According to Julie Adenuga, though, there’s one thing his performance will be missing.

“He told me he doesn’t like dancing because he’s too tall,” she laughs.

“I think he’s just too shy, but there’s no space for shy when you’re headlining Glastonbury!”

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein: Four more women accuse producer of assault

Published

on

By


Harvey WeinsteinImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier this year

Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has been accused of sexual assault by four further women as he serves a 23-year prison sentence.

Court documents filed in New York on Thursday allege several sexual offences dating from 1984 to 2013.

One of the four anonymous women was 17 at the time of an alleged attack.

Weinstein’s legal representative told BBC News: “Mr Weinstein intends to defend against the claims filed anonymously against him yesterday.”

The lawyer, Imran H Ansari of Aidala, Bertuna & Kamins PC, added: “Some of these claims, including those alleged to have occurred in the 1980s and 1990s, may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations, and not subject to any exceptions under the law, as these plaintiffs do not appear to be complainants in Mr Weinstein’s criminal case.”

  • Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault
  • How the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded

The latest legal cases allege multiple sexual offences against four women, who currently reside in Tennessee, New York, Ecuador and Hungary.

Some of the attacks allegedly took place after meetings with Weinstein at the Cannes and Venice Film Festivals.

The new allegations include:

  • A 43-year-old woman from Tennesee claims that in 1994, when she was 17, Weinstein “falsely imprisoned, sexually assaulted, sexually battered and raped her” in his hotel room. The plaintiff, who wanted to break into the entertainment industry, alleges Weinstein demanded she perform oral sex on him.
  • A 70-year-old woman from Ecuador claims that in 1984, when she was 34, Weinstein allegedly pinned her against a door and fondled her in his hotel room in Cannes, when she was looking to start a career as a documentary filmmaker.
  • A 38-year old woman said she met Weinstein in Manhattan in 2008 and he offered to “help take her career to the next level”. He allegedly raped her in his Soho apartment a few days later, telling her he would ruin her if she told anyone.
  • A 35-year-old woman from Hungary claims that in 2013, when she was 26, she met Weinstein at the Venice Film Festival. A few months later, he allegedly forced her to perform oral sex on him when she met him in a hotel room.

Allegations against Weinstein began to emerge in October 2017, when The New York Times first reported incidents dating back decades.

At least 80 women have since accused him of sexual misconduct, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

Weinstein issued an apology acknowledging he had “caused a lot of pain”, but denied any allegations of non-consensual sex.

In February, Weinstein was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act, and later sentenced to 23 years in jail.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Remi Wolf on how she makes music videos in lockdown

Published

on

By


Music videos are often big budget affairs filmed in glamorous locations with a cast and crew to rival a movie. But what happens when a pandemic strikes and everyone is told to practise social distancing and not leave their home?

Rising star Remi Wolf told the BBC’s Sophie van Brugen how she got around the problem, and what coronavirus could mean for the future of the music video.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Coronavirus: Cultural sector “first to suffer and last to come back” – Bjorn Ulvaeus

Published

on

By


Bjorn Ulvaeus, one quarter of ABBA and President of the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers (CISAC) said the cultural sector is ‘extra vulnerable’ due to Coronavirus and urged governments for support.

The musician told the BBC that he hopes to use technology to help creators get payments ‘more efficiently and accurately’.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending