Connect with us

Dominica

St. Jean clarifies statement made at DLP event at Bagatelle

Published

on


Petter St. Jean

The Parliamentary Representative for the Laplaine Constituency, Petter St. Jean, is making it clear that he will not be making a comeback this general election.

Speculation mounted when St Jean said last week “whether is laborites or workers, whether they want or not, I am giving them Petter”.

That statement helped fuel suspicion that he might coming back as the DLP La Plaine candidate given that St. Jean has been absent from the Dominica Labour Party’s campaign activities following the announcement to replace him.

But St. Jean said at the official launch of Dr. Irving McIntyre at Trafalgar over the weekend, that his support is entirely for the new candidate Kent Edwards.

“When I speak, I try to be clear and direct but apparently, when I addressed the gathering in Bagatelle, some people misconstrued what I said. Peter St Jean shall not be the Parlrep for Laplaine come the next general elections…The next Parlrep shall be Kent Edwards who I am giving one hundred percent support,” he said.

According to St Jean, who is the President of the DLP, the new candidate will be trained to ensure success at the polls.

“He was my student at school for three years. I caned him. I beat him and I shall train him to defeat the United Workers Party candidate Francisca Joseph,” St Jean said.

He said he is also aware that many people were rejoicing when the prime minister did not select him to contest Laplaine.

“I have said news for them. The Pepper is back and the Pepper stands with Kent so he must be victorious. I have some people who pretend to be neutral but they appear to be agents of the Opposition,” he said.

St Jean, who is also the countries education minister, said he would never be at peace knowing the UWP wins the Laplaine consistency.

The DLP intends to launch Kent Edwards on October 13th at Laplaine.





Source: Source link

Dominica

Electoral Commission at ‘advanced stage of readiness’ for general election

Published

on

By


Electoral Office on Turkey Lane

Press/Public Education Officer at Dominica’s Electoral Office, Elias Dupuis has said the Electoral Commission is in an advanced stage of readiness for the upcoming General Elections.

The 2019 General Elections is set for Friday 6th December.

“We are at an advanced stage of readiness for the December 6th elections and everything is on schedule,” he said during an interview with Dominica News Online (DNO) on Wednesday.

According to Dupuis, there are a number of different things happening at the office at this time.

“A supplementary list has to be created with everyone who would have registered between the end of September 2019 and November 6th 2019,” he said. “That list has to be issued within 7 days. Today is actually the 7th day.”

Dupuis mentioned further that with respect to December 6th General Elections no persons registered after the 6th of November 2019 will be eligible to participate in upcoming elections.

He said the list will be brought to the communities and published.

“We are in the final stage of finalizing all of our polling stations and a majority of them are already confirmed,” Dupuis stated.

He said this is being put in place to have elections on the 6th of December with no interruptions.

He went on to say that the final elections list will be out next week ahead of the nomination day, which is Tuesday 19th November 2019.

“On that list, we’ll include all of the people that will be part of the supplementary list that will come out today as well as the preliminary list of September 30th 2019,” Dupuis stated.

He continued, “When the preliminary list comes out for September people can make objections, people can make claims, have different things changed, for example how the names have been spelt…some of the names may be spelt wrong, some of the names may be  left out accidentally.”

Dupuis said the final elections list is what will be used for the upcoming General Elections.





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Dominica

UPDATE: Brian Linton released without charge (with video)

Published

on

By


Brian Linton speaking at the UWP press conference

Brian Linton, the brother of United Workers Party (UWP) leader, Lennox Linton, who was arrested this morning and brought to police headquarters in Roseau for questioning, has been released without charge.

Brian Linton himself made the disclosure at a news conference of the United Workers party now underway at the Prevo Cinemall.

Below is a video of Brian Linton speaking at the UWP newsconference.

 





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Dominica

Brother of UWP leader picked up by police

Published

on

By


Brian Linton (r) with UWP leader, Lennox Linton

Dominica News Online (DNO) has learned that Brian Linton, the brother of the leader of the United Workers Party, Lennox Linton, was picked up by the police this morning at his home in Marigot.

Reports are that he is being held at police headquarters in Roseau on allegations of incitement.

DNO will follow this story and bring you more information as it becomes available.





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending