Connect with us

Entertainment

Sport Relief: BBC charity broadcast to go ahead in Salford

Published

on


Clockwise from left: Oti Mabuse, Paddy McGuinness, Gary Lineker, Alex Scott, Rylan Clark-Neal, Emma Willis, Maya Jama and Tom Allen

Image caption

Clockwise from left: Oti Mabuse, Paddy McGuinness, Gary Lineker, Alex Scott, Rylan Clark-Neal, Emma Willis, Maya Jama and Tom Allen

This year’s Sport Relief charity event will go ahead as planned later in front of a live studio audience in Salford.

The BBC said it would do “everything possible to keep people safe” in light of the coronavirus outbreak.

Gary Lineker, Paddy McGuinness, Alex Scott, Emma Willis, Rylan Clark-Neal, Oti Mabuse, Maya Jama and Tom Allen will host the charity fundraiser.

“A star-studded night of music, comedy and entertainment” is promised, kicking off at 19:00 GMT on BBC One.

  • Sport Relief trip moved over coronavirus worries
  • How coronavirus is hitting entertainment events

“We’ve been closely following the government advice as we’ve been planning this event,” said a BBC spokesperson.

“People’s health and safety is our absolutely priority.”

Some of the money raised this year will go to projects dealing with the challenges caused by the coronavirus.

Image caption

L to R: Vicky McClure, Lee Mack, Adrian Dunbar, Martin Compston and Jason Isaacs

The evening’s broadcast will include a Line of Duty sketch that will see the BBC drama’s regulars joined by Jason Isaacs and comedian Lee Mack.

There will also be a parody of BBC drama Killing Eve, in which a host of famous Steves – among them snooker legend Steve Davis and Olympic rower Sir Steve Redgrave – fall foul of a blonde assassin.

Image caption

Stephen Fry and David Walliams in ‘Killing Steves’

Other pre-recorded segments include a celebrity boat race that will see teams from the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Sky take to the challenging waters of Salford Quays under the tutelage of Olympic champions James Cracknell and Helen Glover.

Celeste, John Newman, Rita Ora and the Pussycat Dolls are among the music acts scheduled to appear.

Image caption

Helen Glover (left) and James Cracknell (right) with this year’s Celebrity Boat Race participants

Special editions of QI, The Greatest Dancer and A Question of Sport will also be screened, while A Round with Rom will see Romesh Ranganathan meet Sir Andy Murray on a mini golf course.

This year’s appeal saw pop star Frankie Bridge, DJ Nick Grimshaw and other stars take part in a gruelling four-day trek across the Namib Desert.

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

Nick Grimshaw in the Namib Desert

The expedition – moved from Mongolia because of concerns about coronavirus – was the subject of a documentary broadcast earlier this week.

Other challenges undertaken this year include a joint effort to pull a British Airways plane more than 100 metres at London’s Heathrow Airport.

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

Iwan Thomas, Nicola Adams, Gabby Logan, Gary Lineker and Joe Wicks with Alfie Hewett (front)

Former boxer Nicola Adams, presenter Gabby Logan and Gary Lineker were among those to take part in last week’s record-breaking heave.

The last Sport Relief, held in March 2018, raised more than £38 million for charitable causes.


Follow us on Facebook or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

Minneapolis unrest: CNN reporter arrested live on air

Published

on

By


A CNN correspondent and members of his crew were arrested while broadcasting about violent protests in Minneapolis.

There were demonstrations in the city for a third night following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, in police custody on Monday.

The Minneapolis State Patrol confirmed the arrests and said those detained were released “once they were confirmed to be members of the media”.

But CNN disputed the police’s account of the incident, saying its staff had “identified themselves, on live television, immediately as journalists”.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz later apologised for the arrests.

Watch the full story on CNN YouTube channel.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein: Four more women accuse producer of assault

Published

on

By


Harvey WeinsteinImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier this year

Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has been accused of sexual assault by four further women as he serves a 23-year prison sentence.

Court documents filed in New York on Thursday allege several sexual offences dating from 1984 to 2013.

One of the four anonymous women was 17 at the time of an alleged attack.

Weinstein’s legal representative told BBC News: “Mr Weinstein intends to defend against the claims filed anonymously against him yesterday.”

The lawyer, Imran H Ansari of Aidala, Bertuna & Kamins PC, added: “Some of these claims, including those alleged to have occurred in the 1980s and 1990s, may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations, and not subject to any exceptions under the law, as these plaintiffs do not appear to be complainants in Mr Weinstein’s criminal case.”

  • Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault
  • How the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded

The latest legal cases allege multiple sexual offences against four women, who currently reside in Tennessee, New York, Ecuador and Hungary.

Some of the attacks allegedly took place after meetings with Weinstein at the Cannes and Venice Film Festivals.

The new allegations include:

  • A 43-year-old woman from Tennesee claims that in 1994, when she was 17, Weinstein “falsely imprisoned, sexually assaulted, sexually battered and raped her” in his hotel room. The plaintiff, who wanted to break into the entertainment industry, alleges Weinstein demanded she perform oral sex on him.
  • A 70-year-old woman from Ecuador claims that in 1984, when she was 34, Weinstein allegedly pinned her against a door and fondled her in his hotel room in Cannes, when she was looking to start a career as a documentary filmmaker.
  • A 38-year old woman said she met Weinstein in Manhattan in 2008 and he offered to “help take her career to the next level”. He allegedly raped her in his Soho apartment a few days later, telling her he would ruin her if she told anyone.
  • A 35-year-old woman from Hungary claims that in 2013, when she was 26, she met Weinstein at the Venice Film Festival. A few months later, he allegedly forced her to perform oral sex on him when she met him in a hotel room.

Allegations against Weinstein began to emerge in October 2017, when The New York Times first reported incidents dating back decades.

At least 80 women have since accused him of sexual misconduct, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

Weinstein issued an apology acknowledging he had “caused a lot of pain”, but denied any allegations of non-consensual sex.

In February, Weinstein was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act, and later sentenced to 23 years in jail.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Remi Wolf on how she makes music videos in lockdown

Published

on

By


Music videos are often big budget affairs filmed in glamorous locations with a cast and crew to rival a movie. But what happens when a pandemic strikes and everyone is told to practise social distancing and not leave their home?

Rising star Remi Wolf told the BBC’s Sophie van Brugen how she got around the problem, and what coronavirus could mean for the future of the music video.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending