Connect with us

Dominica

Portsmouth residents stage protest; one in Roseau continues – Dominica News Online

Published

on


Protesters at Burrough’ Square in Portsmouth on Thursday

Residents of Portsmouth on Thursday, gathered near the Indian River Bridge and later, at Burroughs Square, to raise awareness about what they say, are serious issues that are affecting their community.

In an interview with Dominica News Online (DNO), one of the protest organizers, Pat Corbette, said Portsmouth is not getting a fair share of the national income to enhance the constituency and to provide jobs for the town’s residents.

“What we’re seeing is a lot of hotels around the Portsmouth area but there are just so many things that need to be put in place and the whole ambiance of the place, the vast unemployment issue in Portsmouth, a lot of the people aren’t working; they’re just sitting around by the roadside,” Corbette lamented.

The Portsmouth businessman said some residents have also been asking the question, “where the money gone,” in reference to the question being asked by the opposition about an estimated $1 billion in revenue from the Citizenship by Investment Programme (CBI) which the opposition leader has said is missing from the 2019-2020 national budget and which has elicited a strong opposition outcry for accountability from the government.

“We have a lot of concerns so far as…it relates to Portsmouth. Some of the uses that money could go to, like for instance, right now, we’re building 5-star hotels and resorts in the Portsmouth area… but I believe along with that we need a 5-star hospital because you cannot bring in people here in a 5-star hotel and then you have a hospital which, in my opinion, if I had to rate it, would probably rate it as a [one] star, maybe less than a star,” he continued.

Corbette described the public turnout and support for the protest action as “very encouraging” and said they intend to continue raising awareness, however long it takes.

Meantime, a protest by UWP election candidate, attorney Ronald Charles, continued on Thursday in front of the Prevo Cinimall building.

Charles launched the “one man billion dollar protest” on Monday to add his voice to the call for government accountability in the CBI missing funds issue.

Dominica News Online (DNO) interviewed two people who were part of today’s gathering. They expressed  their concerns and frustration with what they perceive to be government’s lack of accountability in the CBI matter..

“The purpose for coming out today is standing with senator Ronald Charles in solidarity with him in asking where is the $1.2billion of CBI monies unaccounted for in the national budget? We have find that this government has not been transparent enough with the people. We do not know where the funds are going, we do not know how much is coming in, we do not know how it’s being used. Enough is enough and whoever wants to join they are free to do so,” one of the protesters told DNO.

“I am here for the simple reason, standing in the defense of my country because monies are missing. Particularly having to see the people of Dominica struggle, suffer. We have police officers, teachers, and doctors, lawyers operating under a very low salary and as a result, you can see the effect that it has on the economy,” another protester exclaimed. “We want that money back into the treasury. This money [belongs] to the people, it does not belong to Roosevelt Skerrit. Hartley Henry or all of the operatives that seem to be manipulating the resources of Dominica. We deserve better…and it hurts us…there is pain in our heart seeing how we are struggling. “

Charles indicated that the protest will continue tomorrow but said that he had not yet decided a venue.

Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has said that the money in question has been used to build houses for Dominicans but the opposition is insisting that the government must provide a proper accounting of the total amount of CBI funds that was received for the financial year 2018-2019.





Source: Source link

Dominica

Dominican actress shines in the US

Published

on

By


Dominican actress shines in the USAnother daughter of the soil has made her country proud in a field that few Dominicans pursue. Disnie Sebastien, fondly known as Myan to family and friends in Dominica, is the daughter of Riviere Sebastien and Annette Austrie and resided…

The post Dominican actress shines in the US appeared first on Dominica News Online.





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Dominica

Deniscia Laurent wins Ms DSC Jamboree; Sheldon Piper is DSC top male model

Published

on

By


Deniscia Laurent, Law Enforcement Major has captured the title of Miss Mas Jamboree 2020 whilst NarZym Sheldon Piper an Entrepreneurship Major emerged winner of the Mr. DSC Modeling Competition.

The Miss Mas Jamboree Pageant was held on Tuesday February 18th 2020 at the Windsor Park Sports Stadium Forecourt.

The 2nd Runner Up went to Kayjah Charles and 1st Runner up went to Dainisha Eusebe.

Carsim Brimingham emerged 1st Runner up of the Mr. DSC Modeling Competition.

The Result of the Pageant is as follows:

Miss Photogenic – Dainisha Eusebe

Miss Amity – Aaliyah Alexander

People’s Choice – Kayjah Charles

Best in Runway – Dainisha Eusebe

Best Talent – Dainisha Eusebe

Best in Evening Wear – Dainisha Eusebe

Best Evening Wear – Deniscia Laurent

Best in Swimwear – Dainisha Eusebe

Best Thematic Wear – Kayjah Charles

Best Response to Question – Kayjah Charles

Meantime, Mr. DSC Modeling Competition was a new addition to the pageant where four young men participated.

Director of Students Activities at the DSC, Trudy Christian said that “the male aspect of the show was included to encourage more guys to come out to Mas Jamboree”.

Christian said that pageantry is mainly viewed as a female event.  However, they wanted participation from the entire student body.

“We wanted to really have participation from the whole student body, I think the male competition did exactly what we intended it to do it brought out a bigger crowd to Mas Jamboree 2020” she said.

Furthermore, Christian said that the pageant continues to make a significant contribution to Dominica’s carnival.





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Dominica

DMA official sees potential for manufacturing of pharmaceuticals in Dominica

Published

on

By


Dr. Gail Defoe (left) with other DMA officials

Executive Member of the Dominica Manufacturer’s Association (DMA), Dr. Gail Defoe, has highlighted the need for consideration to be given to the manufacturing of pharmaceuticals in Dominica in light of the significant challenge that viruses and bacteria now present to the world.

“The single biggest challenge in the world and our future would be viruses and bacteria,” Dr. Defoe said at DMA-organized press conference on Tuesday. “We have diseases far worse than the coronavirus…”

“What does that mean to manufacturers? And what does that mean for our countries?” Defoe asked about the coronavirus, which, over the past two and a half months, has killed hundreds of people, particularly in China, the country where the virus is reported to have originated.

According to the latest reports, some 75,303 people have been infected, 2012 have died and 15,126 have recovered.

Dr. Defoe explained that at present, Japan’s economy is said to be going into a recession because all the tourists from America are no longer going to Japan.

“How do we as a small island state ensure that within our economy we have the resources to combat these disorders and diseases?” Defoe asked. “We can do that through research and through manufacturing.”

She continued, “So as we think about manufacturing we have to broaden our thinking on not only being able to manufacture sweets and candies but especially pharmaceuticals, which we are rich in.”





Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending