- 18dBi of gain for high-speed transmission over long distances
- Support for unlicensed CBRS spectrum
FINLAND / USA – Nokia has announced the launch of a purpose-built Fixed Wireless Access receiver for the North American market.
The Nokia FastMile 5G receiver uses a high-gain antenna to deliver high speeds over long distances making it ideally suited to serve both suburban and rural underserved communities. The receiver supports a broad range of 4G and 5G bands including CBRS in either 4G or 5G as well as c-band. It also supports up to 4CA NR carrier aggregation meaning operators can bundle bands for higher throughput.
The necessity for high-speed broadband has never been clearer and Governments are responding with a wide range of programs to ensure access for their citizens. Full coverage will require a combination of fiber and wireless technologies where it is too difficult to lay fiber.
The FastMile 5G receiver is mounted outside the home where it can pick up the strongest signals, important in rural areas where signals can be weak at the cell edge. The outside receiver is teamed with an inside Wi-Fi router, such as Nokia’s Beacon G6.2 which has managed mesh Wi-Fi capability to deliver strong signals throughout the home.
Chris DePuy, technology analyst and founder at 650 Group, said:
“For those that require unlicensed spectrum, the 5G outdoor FWA device supports CBRS (B/n48), enabling CBRS in both 4G and 5G. We think the market is well over 10M users for rural access that uses either unlicensed or licensed spectrum. This new product brings much-needed speed to rural areas that traditionally need to settle for less. Also, it broadens out Nokia’s portfolio to allow it to serve a broader set of customers.”
Dirk Verhaegen, VP Broadband Devices at Nokia, said:
“Our high-gain technology extends the range of Fixed Wireless Access to deliver high speeds even in rural environments. Our receiver supports a wide range of mid and low-bands in both 4G and 5G along with up to 4 NR carrier aggregation, enabling operators to take best advantage of the spectrum investments.”
The Nokia 5G high gain receiver is available immediately in the North American market. The receiver joins Nokia’s comprehensive portfolio of customer premise equipment which includes 4G and 5G gateways for indoor use.
- Directional antenna design, up to 18dBi gain for sparsely populated areas;
- 3GPP release 16 compliant;
- Supports all North American 5G mid and low-bands and 4G bands;
- Supports NSA and SA;
- B48/n48 band for unlicensed CBRS application;
- Support for Wall and Pole Mount Options;
- Includes modem and high gain antennas in one hardened IP66-compliant outdoor receiver;
- 2.5Gbps Ethernet connection the home network includes PoE to power the outdoor device;
- The solution is complimented by Nokia Beacon G6.2 as the indoor router providing mesh Wi-Fi 6 and integrated PoE.
Credit: Source link