AREA VOLLEYBALL TOP 10
1. Mount Carmel 16-5 (No. 1 last week): The Cubs seven-match win streak ended with a four-set loss to defending D-II state champion Teurlings Catholic on Saturday. Mount Carmel won two hours later against Notre Dame.
2. Dominican 24-1 (2): Dominican has won seven in a row including a sweep of Teurlings Catholic on Saturday. The only loss this season came against Mount Carmel. They’ll face each other Wednesday.
3. Pope John Paul II 15-2 (3): The Jaguars held off a tough Sacred Heart team in five sets last week as their win streak reaches 12 matches.
4. Curtis 20-3 (5): The Patriots win streak just keeps going and is now at 14 matches. Curtis has all the tools to make a run in D-IV.
5. Mandeville 15-3 (4): The Skippers survived district rival Fontainebleau in five sets, but fell to Mount Carmel in four. They have the all tools to make a title run.
6. Sacred Heart 12-4 (7): The Cardinals pushed Pope to five sets on the road and then came back two days later to beat Country Day in five. Sacred Heart is one tough team in the ultra-competitive D-IV.
7. Ben Franklin 21-5 (6): The Falcons were swept at Curtis, but rebounded with some nice victories. Defending D-II state runner-ups will be tough in November.
8. Academy of Our Lady 22-0 (9): Five-set victory over Terrebonne keeps the Penguins undefeated regular season hopes alive.
9. Northshore 15-6 (8): A five-set victory over Country Day shows just how dangerous the Panthers are. But can Northshore play consistently to keep the momentum going?
10. Country Day 13-9 (10): The Cajuns have dropped three of their last eight matches – all in five sets and all to teams ranked ahead of them in this poll. That’s one of the toughest schedules in the state.
Matches to watch: Pope John Paul II at St. Scholastica, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; Cabrini at Haynes, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday; Hannan at Curtis, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday; Mount Carmel at Dominican, 5:30 p.m. Wednesday; Cabrini at Pope John Paul II, 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
Credit: Source link