Connect with us

Business

Man received testicle from his twin brother in rare transplant

Published

on


  • On December 3, a 36-year-old man in Serbia became the third known person to receive a testicle transplant.
  • When a man’s testicles are nonexistent, he experiences both reproductive- and hormone-related problems, Dr. Bobby Najari, the director of the Male Fertility Program at NYU Langone Health, told Insider.
  • But testicle transplants are rare because donating a testicle requires the donor to contribute his sperm to the recipient as well, and there are other ways testosterone can be replaced.
  • Still, the procedure may have positive implications for transgender people, wounded soldiers, and cancer survivors.
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more.

On Tuesday, December 3, a 36-year-old man became the third known person to receive a testicle transplant.

The man, who underwent the transplant in Belgrade, Serbia, wasn’t born with any testicles and got one testicle from his identical twin brother, the New York Times reported.

The two previous testicle transplants were performed nearly 40 years ago, and both also involved identical twins. 

Being born without testicles is rare. According to the National Institutes of Health, only 0.15% of full-term male babies are born without testicles. (It’s more common — about 3% of full-term male babies — to be born with undescended testicles, but in most of those cases, the testicles drop to the correct position before they’re 6 months old.)   

When a man’s testicles are nonexistant, he experiences both reproductive- and hormone-related problems, Dr. Bobby Najari, the director of the Male Fertility Program at NYU Langone Health who was not involved in the transplant, told Insider.

Although the hormone-related problems can be fixed with hormone replacement therapies, only a testicle transplant can potentially help a man born without testicles gain reproductive abilities.

Testicles have both hormonal and reproductive functions

The testicles serve two purposes. First, they release the hormone testosterone, which is responsible for a man’s muscle growth, facial hair growth, and sex drive, according to the Urology Care Foundation. But if a man doesn’t have testicles, he won’t release testosterone and needs to get the hormone through a replacement method, Najari said.

Replacement methods include injections administered by the man himself or his doctor, oral medications, or topical medications.

The testicles also play a primary role in reproduction, since they contain the sperm needed to fertilize an egg, which develops into an embryo and then a fetus. Without testes, a man can’t have genetic children of his own.

Even with a testicle transplant, a man who previously had no testes isn’t guaranteed to have kids, Najari said. That’s because it would require an extra surgical step during which a surgeon attaches the vas deferens — the male reproductive organ that connects the sperm to the urethra at the tip of the penis — to the recipient’s own penis.

If the vas deferens isn’t connected to the recipient’s penis (it wasn’t this new transplant case), then the sperm have no way of leaving the scrotum, entering the penis, and exiting the penis in the form of ejaculate, according to Najari.

If the vas deferens are attached, it adds about an hour to the procedure, which is already about three hours long, Najari said.

organ donor surgery cancer

The testicles play a primary role in reproduction.
nimon/Shutterstock


Testicle transplants are rarely performed

Testicle transplants require surgeons be extremely physically adept because they must fuse the donated testicle’s blood vessels with the recipient’s blood vessels in order for the donated testicle to function properly, according to Najari.

But the difficulty of the procedure itself isn’t why testicle transplants are rare, Najari said. Rather, it’s because “you’re transplanting the donor’s sperm into the recipient, so the recipient’s children are going to be the testicular donor’s children, from a genetic standpoint.”

It’s not common for people to want to donate their sperm to a stranger in this capacity, or for a deceased organ donor to consent to this while alive, which explains why the three transplants completed thus far have been with identical twins.

Testicle transplants could be revolutionary for transgender people, wounded soldiers, and cancer survivors

Although testicle transplants are rare, the procedure has the potential to change the lives of people in need of a testicle, Najari said.

Transgender men who aren’t born with male reproductive organs, for example, could have more reproductive options if they received a testicle transplant.

Additionally, wounded soldiers and cancer survivors who lost their testes could benefit from the procedure if they don’t wish to use other testosterone-providing methods or want to have children.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Conor McGregor hugged ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone’s grandma after his knockout win

Published

on


  • Conor McGregor dominated in his return to UFC action on Saturday night, knocking out veteran fighter Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in just 40 seconds.
  • After the fight, McGregor was quick to show respect to Cerrone, going in to hug his fallen opponent, as well as his grandmother, who had entered the ring for support.
  • Fans on Twitter expressed excitement to see McGregor showing love to the legendary fighter.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Conor McGregor made a statement in his return to UFC action on Saturday night, knocking out veteran fighter Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in just 40 seconds.

McGregor charged right at the opening bell, and after missing a rocket of a left hand, clinched Cerrone and beat into his nose with his shoulder. After connecting with Cerrone’s jaw with an impressive kick, McGregor sent his opponent to the ground and finished him off while some fans were still chewing their first bite of popcorn.

While McGregor has been disrespectful of some opponents in the past after his thunderous knockouts, he was quick to show love to Cerrone after his victory.

With 34 UFC bouts under his belt and a record 16 UFC finishes to his name, Cerrone is a legend of the sport. McGregor acknowledged as much after his knockout win, rushing over to hug his opponent.

McGregor’s lovefest didn’t stop there, as he also gave Cowboy’s grandmother, Jerry Cerrone, a big hug in the ring as she entered to support her grandson.

On Twitter, fans loved the interaction.

While the amount of respect McGregor shows in his next fight will largely depend on his opponent, it’s clear fans were excited to see the Irish fighter back in action on Saturday night.

Dan Bilzerian lost a monstrous pile of cash betting against Conor McGregor

A 21-year-old American’s dream of becoming the UFC’s youngest-ever champion was crushed by a classy flyweight veteran in a brutal and bloody win

How Conor McGregor went from Dublin plumber to the king of combat sports

An American southpaw knocked his UFC opponent down with a crafty left hand, held him down with one fist, then punched him 11 times while he lay defenseless on the canvas

Photos show how Conor McGregor’s body has drastically changed as he’s accelerated through the UFC



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Trump legal team official response calls impeachment case ‘dangerous’

Published

on


  • President Donald Trump’s legal team argued in a six-page letter that House Democrats’ articles of impeachment were a “dangerous attack.”
  • The letter was the first formal response to the House’s two impeachment charges: abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
  • The letter revealed the strategy Trump’s legal team will use in the Senate trial beginning next week, arguing that the articles of impeachment don’t include any criminal actions.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump’s legal team issued its first formal response to the House Democrats’ articles of impeachment on Saturday, calling the case a “dangerous attack on the right of the American people to freely choose their President.”

Trump faces two impeachment charges: abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The charges are based on allegations that Trump withheld military aid from Ukraine after urging its president to investigate Trump’s political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.

The White House’s six-page formal response called the charges “an affront to the Constitution of the United States, our democratic institutions, and the American people,” lambasting the House impeachment proceedings as a “rigged process” conducted by vengeful Democrats.

“This is a brazen and unlawful attempt to overturn the results of the 2016 election and interfere with the 2020 election — now just months away,” the letter said. “The highly partisan and reckless obsession with impeaching the President began the day he was inaugurated and continues to this day.”

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he welcomes the 2019 NCAA National Championship Football team the Louisiana State University Tigers to the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., January 17, 2020. REUTERS/Leah Millis

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks as he welcomes 2019 National Championship Football team the Louisiana State University Tigers to White House in Washington
Reuters


The letter also revealed the strategy Trump’s legal team will be adopting — mainly arguing that the articles of impeachment don’t include any criminal actions and are therefore unconstitutional.

The Constitution allows Congress to remove a president from office after determining the president is guilty of “high crimes and misdemeanors,” the definitions for which have stoked much debate in recent months.

Yet the White House’s letter urged senators to reject the articles of impeachment in the trial that begins next week, arguing that both articles failed to state impeachable offenses, crimes, or violations of law.

“They are defective in their entirety. They are the product of invalid proceedings that flagrantly denied the President any due process,” the letter said. “They rest on dangerous distortions of the Constitution that would do lasting damage to our structure of government.”

Also on Saturday, House impeachment managers filed a 46-page trial memorandum arguing that Trump “abandoned his oath” by using “his official powers to pressure a foreign government to interfere in a United States election for his personal political gain,” and must be pulled from office.



Source link

Continue Reading

Business

Police called after Target manager refuses to sell 1 cent toothbrush

Published

on


  • A man claiming to be an award-winning journalist churned up viral outrage after he says he called the police on a Target manager who refused to sell him an electric toothbrush for 1 cent.
  • David Leavitt tweeted a photo of the Target manager, a display that advertises an Oral-B Pro 5000 toothbrush for $0.01, and a screenshot of Massachusetts law dictating that stores must sell items for the lowest price indicated on a sign or advertisement. 
  • A GoFundMe started by a third party has raised more than $16,000 so far for the Target manager, who has only been identified as “Tori” – but the GoFundMe account owner has yet to track down the real Tori, so it’s unclear where the money will actually go. 
  • Leavitt, who also claims he plans to sue Target, is verified on Twitter and says he has bylines with CBS, AXS, Yahoo, and the Examiner, but his journalism credentials are questionable and he’s repeatedly gone viral for outrageous, offensive tweets. 
  • Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A self-identified “award-winning multimedia journalist” became the target of outrage on Twitter after he posted a picture of a Massachusetts Target manager and claimed he called the police on her because she wouldn’t sell him an electric toothbrush for one cent. 

David Leavitt, who is verified on Twitter, tweeted pictures of “Tori” the store manager, a display for an Oral-B Pro 5000 toothbrush with a price tag for $0.01, and a screenshot of a webpage about the Massachusetts Item Pricing Law, which requires that stores sell items at the lowest price indicated on a sign or advertisment.

That law also states that if there is a discrepancy between the price listed on the shelf and what the item rings up as, the customer should be given a $10 deduction from the lowest advertised price. Leavitt went on to claim that Target “refused” to sell him the toothbrush and so he called the police.

Leavitt then tweeted that the police “verified” that the price of the toothbrush was listed as $0.01 and that “Tori refused to sell me the toothbrush for the displayed price.” He said the police “said I need to sue them” and that they would make a report of the incident to “take to court.”

david leavitt twitter

A screenshot of the original tweet posted by David Leavitt.

Twitter/@David_Leavitt


“Corporations like @target are not above the law,” Leavitt tweeted. “The police officer told me they’d testify that they saw the price and that the manager wouldn’t sell me the item for the price listed.” 

Most of the angry responses to Leavitt’s tweet criticized him for blaming the store manager and for posting a photo of her. A GoFundMe was started by a third party on behalf of “Tori” called “Send #TargetTori on a Vacation” and has since raised more than $16,000. 

Many aspects of the viral moment are questionable, from the GoFundMe to Leavitt’s journalism credentials

Leavitt didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment, and didn’t provide any evidence of his encounter with the police or the report he says the police officers made on Twitter, so it’s unclear if he really called the police. 

Additionally, he wrote in a follow-up tweet that “I have not been able to afford to go to a dentist in over three years. So yes I wanted a good toothbrush and was thrilled to see such an amazing prize on an @OralB but @target refused to honor it and now I have to take them to court.”

Other Twitter users pointed out that Leavitt tweeted “#YouAreWinningWhen you get the dentist’s office waiting room to turn off Fox News” on April 24, 2018, contradicting his claim that he hadn’t been to a dentist in over three years. 

Leavitt’s bio on Twitter is also questionable. He claims to be an “award-winning multimedia journalist” with bylines at CBS, AXS, Yahoo, and the Examiner – but he has repeatedly gone viral for outrageous, offensive tweets, and both CBS and AXS have tweeted that he is not affiliated with them.

He appears to have been a freelancer at one point, and a screen capture on the internet archive the Wayback Machine shows he authored at least one post for AXS in 2014, but his author page has since been removed from the website. 

When Leavitt last went majorly viral, it was because he tweeted “The last time I listened to Ariana Grande I almost died too” the day of the Manchester Arena bombing at a Grande concert that left 23 people dead. After that tweet received media attention for the backlash it sparked, both CBS and AXS disavowed him.

david leavitt ariana grande tweet

A screenshot of another David Leavitt tweet that went viral for sparking outrage.

Twitter/@rainkinsgreen


The only other recent writing Leavitt seems to have done is for his own blog, LuvItOrLeavitt. On his Muck Rack page, a site that collects journalist’s clips, most of the articles that appear to be authored by him are not actually written by Leavitt. Some are written by or are about the author David Leavitt, who is a different person. 

Additionally, the GoFundMe started on behalf of the manager “Tori” is not actually linked to the Target manager herself. Despite quickly raising more than $16,000 at the time of publication, the GoFundMe was started by someone who has yet to establish communication with the real “Tori,” so the money will actually go to the third party. 

The name of the GoFundMe account raising money is Carpe Donktum, who is a semi-prominent pro-Trump meme creator. They have over 200,000 Twitter followers, and used the platform to raise money for “Tori” quickly.

An update posted by Carpe Donktum, who didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment, says “I am in the process of tracking her down to discuss how to transfer the funds.” On Twitter, Carpe Donktum also said they believe they have made contact with “THE TORI” and is working to confirm her identity. 

“You don’t know me, but many others do, and I hope they would say I have built my reputation as an honest person with integrity,” the account replied to someone asking how donators know the money is really going to “Tori.”

Target didn’t immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment. 



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending