Connect with us

Entertainment

Kevin Spacey ‘questioned by Met Police in US’

Published

on


Kevin SpaceyImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Kevin Spacey faces six allegations of sexual assault in the UK

Actor Kevin Spacey has been questioned in the US by the Metropolitan Police over sex assault allegations in the UK, according to Variety magazine.

Variety said Scotland Yard detectives travelled to the US in May to interview the Oscar-winner under caution.

He faces six allegations of sexual assault in the UK between 1996 and 2013. Police said he was voluntarily interviewed – he was not arrested.

Spacey faces a number of sexual assault allegations, which he denies.

While the Metropolitan Police did not name Spacey, a spokeswoman said: “In May 2019, a man was voluntarily interviewed under caution in America, by officers from the Met’s Complex Case Team.

“He was not arrested. Inquiries are ongoing.”

Spacey, 59, was artistic director at London’s The Old Vic theatre between 2004 and 2015.

  • Kevin Spacey timeline: How the story unfolded
  • Kevin Spacey ‘groping’ civil case dropped

The latest development emerged a day after a man who claimed Spacey groped him in the US in 2016 dropped his civil case.

The unnamed man had been seeking unspecified damages over Spacey’s alleged “explicit sexual behaviour” at a Nantucket bar.

Spacey still faces a criminal charge in the US and pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January.

Overall, Spacey has faced allegations of sexual assault from more than 30 men.

The first allegation came from the actor Anthony Rapp in November 2017.

Mr Rapp claimed Spacey had made sexual advances to him in 1986 when he was 14 years old and Spacey was 26.

Mr Spacey claimed to have no memory of the events, but publicly apologised. He has since issued an “absolute” denial of the other allegations that later emerged.



Source link

Entertainment

Luke Evans praises Swansea hospital after dad’s accident

Published

on

By


Luke EvansImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Luke Evans praised the “amazing” staff at Morriston Hospital in Swansea

Actor Luke Evans has praised hospital staff who saved his father’s hand after an accident with a circular saw.

In an Instagram video Evans described how his father, David Evans, had “sliced his hand open” with the tool.

He praised the “amazing” staff at Morriston Hospital in Swansea who operated on his father.

Beauty and the Beast star Evans, who was brought up in Aberbargoed, said the incident happened on Friday in the garden of his parents’ home.

In the video, posted on Monday evening, he said: “Three days ago my dad had an accident in his garden, chopping, slicing wood on a circular saw. It was very bad, he sliced his hand open.

“It was a terrible accident and he almost lost his fingers.”

He added: “It took five hours of microsurgery by one of the most incredible people I have ever met.

“What he did to my dad’s hand is extraordinary.”

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Evans has also had roles in The Hobbit and The Girl on a Train

The star said his family were looked after by “very kind people” from “the second we got there”.

“Nurses, carers, porters, surgeons, anaesthetists, all of which had already worked a very long day when we arrived,” he said.

Evans said the surgeon finished after midnight and “came out with a smile on his face and time to give me and my mum all the time to explain what had happened to my dad”.

“My dad has been looked after so well by everybody in that hospital and I just wanted to say how lucky I feel and how grateful I am to have a health service that allows my dad to be treated for all these things, and it hasn’t needed health insurance or anything, it is just there for us.

“We are a very lucky nation,” he said.





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein guilty over sexual assaults

Published

on

By


Harvey WeinsteinImage copyright
Getty Images

Harvey Weinstein has been found guilty of sexual assault, capping a stunning downfall for the former Hollywood mogul and a victory for the #MeToo movement against harassment.

Weinstein, 67, was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act.

But he was cleared of the most serious count of predatory sexual assault. He faces up to 25 years in prison.

He still faces charges in Los Angeles of assaulting two women in 2013.

At least 80 women had accused him of sexual misconduct stretching back decades, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

The movie executive enjoyed phenomenal success with Oscar winners such Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting, The King’s Speech and Shakespeare in Love.

What happened in the New York court?

The jury of seven men and five women reached their verdict on Monday morning, the fifth day of deliberations.

Weinstein – who denied all charges – was convicted of sexually assaulting former production assistant Mimi Haleyi in 2006 and raping Jessica Mann, a former aspiring actress, in 2013.

  • How Harvey Weinstein faced his reckoning

But the jury acquitted him on two counts of predatory sexual assault, which carried a potential life sentence, and first-degree rape of Mann.

In the minutes after the verdict, Weinstein showed no emotion as he talked to his lead lawyer Donna Rotunno.

But the judge ordered him to be sent to jail immediately. He was surrounded by court officers, handcuffed and led from the courtroom. He will be sentenced on 11 March.

  • How the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded

Weinstein turned up before the verdict wearing a navy blue suit and leaning on a walking frame.

What were the allegations?

Ms Haleyi, who had worked on one of Weinstein’s television productions, said she was assaulted by the producer after he invited her to his Lower Manhattan home.

She testified that he backed her into a bedroom, held her down on the bed and forced himself on her.

Ms Mann said that she found herself in an “extremely degrading” relationship with him that did not involve intercourse until he raped her in a New York City hotel room in 2013.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Sciorra said Weinstein, on another occasion, showed up to her Cannes hotel room with baby oil

She said he was a “Jekyll and Hyde” figure who could be charming in public but showed his dark side when they were alone.

Another one of Weinstein’s accusers, Sopranos actress Annabella Sciorra, told jurors he raped her in her apartment one night in the mid-1990s.

Her allegation was too old to be charged as a separate crime, but prosecutors used it in an attempt to demonstrate that the accused was a repeat sexual offender.

As part of prosecutors’ efforts to show a pattern of predatory behaviour, three other women testified they were lured to apparent work meetings with Weinstein, then sexually assaulted.

How did the trial play out?

During the trial, prosecutors portrayed Weinstein as a serial predator who had used his position of power in Hollywood to manipulate and violently attack women.

Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Meghan Hast said during opening arguments: “The man seated right there was not just a titan in Hollywood, he was a rapist.”

But the defence team said the producer’s accusers had had consensual sex with the movie executive to advance their careers, and the allegations amounted to “regret renamed as rape”.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionHired by Weinstein to extract information on celebrities

They pointed out that two of the accusers had kept in contact with Weinstein, exchanged flirty emails with him and had sex with him after he had supposedly attacked them.

Weinstein’s lawyer, Donna Rotunno, told jurors in closing arguments they were “the last line of defence” against an “overzealous” prosecution.

How did we get here?

Weinstein was once one of the most powerful figures in Hollywood, with dozens of Academy Award wins for his films.

Allegations started to emerge about him in October 2017. The story was broken by the New York Times, which published details of decades of alleged incidents of harassment.

Weinstein issued an apology acknowledging he had “caused a lot of pain”, but disputed the allegations.

Over the coming weeks, dozens more allegations emerged and Weinstein was sacked by the board of his company.

Despite continuing to deny all allegations of non-consensual sex, he was all but banished from Hollywood.

Allegations against him helped drive the #MeToo campaign against sexual misconduct, where victims shared their experiences of assault and harassment.

Some criminal investigations were launched but he was not charged until May 2018, when he turned himself in to police in New York.

What will happen now?

Weinstein still has to face charges in Los Angeles, which were announced on the first day he appeared in court in New York.

The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said the charges relate to the alleged rape of one woman and sexual assault of another over two days in 2013.

District Attorney Jackie Lacey, when announcing the charges, said other cases were also still under review.

Mr Weinstein could be extradited to LA or surrender himself voluntarily dependant on the outcome of the New York case, Ms Lacey added at the time.

Further investigations into Weinstein’s conduct are still possible, while there is also ongoing civil complaints against him too.

In December 2019, lawyers said they had agreed a tentative deal with some accusers, which would pay out $25m (£19m) to nearly 30 actresses and ex-employees.

The deal, which would not see Weinstein admit wrongdoing, still needs to be signed off by a court. Some plaintiffs and lawyers have expressed anger over its terms.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Peter Kay announces comeback with charity Dance for Life shows

Published

on

By


Peter Kay

Comedian Peter Kay has announced his return to the live stage, with a Dance for Life charity show tour this spring.

In late 2017, Kay cancelled all future work projects due to “unforeseen family circumstances”.

He returned the year after with the finale of his BBC TV show Car Share, but has not appeared live since.

The six dance-a-thon shows, which raise money for Cancer Research UK, will take place in Liverpool, London and Manchester in April and May.

Kay previously hosted 14 of his three-hour Dance for Life events across the UK before taking time out.

“I’ve honestly never had so much fun as I had working on Dance For Life” said Kay, in a statement.

  • Peter Kay cancels comeback tour

“The atmosphere was so happy and positive; it really is a great way to raise money for the worthiest of causes.”

He added: “All people have to do is turn up and dance.”

The shows see ticket holders take to the dance floor with Kay, 46, on the decks as “DJ PK”.

He last appeared live during the We Are Manchester charity concert in September 2017, which officially re-opened the Manchester Arena in the wake of the terror attack that killed 22 people.

He was due to host a number of his dance-a-thon events in early 2018 in Coventry, Liverpool and Manchester but they were called off in December 2017 along with his other future commitments.

This time around, the Dance for Life tour will visit Liverpool’s Space by M&S Bank Arena and London’s Alexandra Palace, as well as Manchester Central.


Follow us on Facebook or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending