Connect with us

Haiti

Health Officials in Bermuda Assure No Coronavirus Cases on Board Cruise Ship Set to Dock in the Island, Despite Earlier Scare

Published

on

Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas has been given a clean bill of health.

HAMILTON, Bermuda, Tuesday February
11, 2020
– Health
officials in Bermuda are seeking to assure residents that there is no reason to
fear tomorrow’s arrival of a cruise ship, which was delayed by a Coronavirus
scare last week.

The Anthem
of the Seas was held up in its home port of Bayonne, New Jersey, last weekend because
four passengers became ill. The cruise ship had been set to travel to the
Bahamas with a stop in Florida, but will head to Bermuda instead.

At a press
conference held yesterday to alleviate concerns about the pending arrival of
the ship owned by Royal Caribbean, Minister of Health Kim Wilson insisted that protecting
the health of Bermuda’s residents is her ministry’s top priority and “we would
never take any action that could put the health of our community at risk”.

“Therefore,
let me say this unequivocally: There are no passengers or crew on the Anthem of
the Seas who are suspected of having the Coronavirus. The ship does not pose
any risk different from any vessel arriving to Bermuda at any other time,” she
said.

“The New
Jersey Health Authority and the United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
have confirmed that the results were negative for the novel coronavirus among
four passengers who were tested and were aboard the Anthem of the Seas on a
previous sailing. To be clear, clearance by US health authorities confirms
there are no suspected cases of Coronavirus aboard the Anthem of the Seas.”

Wilson added
that the health of the passengers and crew aboard the cruise ship has been
carefully and actively monitored and a ‘Declaration of Health’ form will be
sent to the Department of Health and reviewed by the Port Health Programme.

To further
ensure the safety of Bermuda, she said, health and port authorities will
continue to apply careful control protocols at all points of entry.

The Health
Minister further explained that the decision to reroute to Bermuda was made by
the cruise line in order to provide a better experience for those passengers
whose cruising time was shortened due to the late departure.

“This was
simply a logistical decision taken by the cruise line and rumours to the
contrary should be ignored…Please let me reiterate, protecting the health of
Bermuda’s residents is the Government’s top priority. This includes taking
steps, steps which are internationally accepted, in better ensuring protection
of the public from serious health risks including the novel coronavirus,” she
said.

Meantime, Chief
Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Cheryl Peek-Ball who was also at the press conference,
said the Ministry of Health is working closely with stakeholders from different
disciplines and sectors of society to plan and prepare for the global risk
presented by coronavirus.

“Specifically,
arriving travellers will undergo a travel risk assessment and could have their
health monitored and movement on island restricted for up to 14 days. Those who
have spent time in jurisdictions considered at very high risk will be given
health instructions for follow-up and monitoring for 14 days,” she said.

“Furthermore,
the Bermuda Government has put a restriction on direct flights from China which
applies to private/corporate aircrafts. Additionally, any visitors that have
spent any time in mainland China in the last 14 days are discouraged from
traveling to Bermuda and will be subject to risk assessment and necessary
monitoring and restrictions. Likewise, travel to mainland China by our
residents should be avoided at this time due to the risk of the novel
coronavirus. Residents returning from mainland China will undergo a travel risk
assessment and may be subject to movement restriction and health monitoring for
up to 14 days.”

The CMO assured that if a case of coronavirus is confirmed in Bermuda, contact tracing will begin immediately and relevant individuals will be contacted by Ministry of Health staff.  She added that any situation posing a risk to the safety of the general public will be communicated through official Ministry of Health channels.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haitian Leaders Urged to End Political Impasse

Published

on

By

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Wednesday February 26, 2020 – Leaders in Haiti must step up and end the
political impasse between President Jovenel Moïse and a surging opposition
movement that has paralyzed the island nation since July 2018, the top United
Nations (UN) official there says.

UN Special Representative Helen La
Lime made the call as she updated ambassadors on latest developments in the
prolonged divide which has left Haiti without a functioning government,
deflated the economy, and fuelled insecurity.

“Haiti is about to enter in its
second year with a caretaker government, its economy is forecast to sink deeper
into recession, and 4.6 million of its citizens are now estimated to require
humanitarian assistance,” she said, speaking via videoconference from Haiti’s
capital.

“To avoid a greater deterioration,
Haitian leaders need to rise to the occasion and commit to a way out of this
impasse that will best serve the interests of their people.”

La Lime was introducing the first
report on the UN Integrated Office in Haiti, which she heads.

Known by the French acronym BINUH, it
was stablished last October, following the end of 15 years of UN peacekeeping
operations. Its mandate includes strengthening political stability and good
governance.

During the past months, La Lime and
international partners the Organization of American States and the Holy See
have been supporting negotiations to forge consensus on a political
agreement. 

However, talks failed to yield
progress on the formation of a new government and the designation of a
“consensual” Prime Minister by the President.

“The lack of agreement on this
matter, as well as on the remaining length of President Moïse’s term, threatens
to needlessly prolong a situation that has already lasted too long,” she told
the UN Security Council.

In the interim, said Executive
Director of the non-profit Fondasyon Je Klere, Marie Yolène Gilles, who also
spoke from the capital city, Haitians are being subjected to widespread human
rights violations as armed gangs now control around a third of the country,
generating “a rising tide of cruelty”.

“We have witnessed odious killings,
decapitations, rapes, robberies, embezzlement and the diversion of supplies,
abductions and kidnappings,” she reported, later adding “we have death
squadrons, and that’s a form of state terrorism.”

La Lime told ambassadors the ongoing
impasse and economic troubles risk further affecting the integrity of the
national police and other key institutions.

The senior UN official said that while
the road to improved governance will be difficult, the deployment of the new UN
office should see deeper and more targeted collaboration with the country.

Success will be measured by progress
in six areas.  Besides facilitating
political consensus, strengthening the police and justice sectors, and
addressing unemployment and other grievances, benchmarks also focus on
addressing gang violence and promoting human rights.

“Only through a combination of strong
national will and steadfast international support can Haiti surmount the
multifaceted crisis with which it is contending,” said La Lime.

“I remain confident that the United Nations, in its new configuration, is uniquely placed to help State institutions address the factors that catalyze cyclical periods of instability in the country and ensure that Haiti is once again on the path to stability and sustainable development.”

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
27/02/2020 09:28:53

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

La PNH ouverte au dialogue interne :

Ce jeudi 27 février la Commission de facilitation créée par le Haut commandement de la PNH, devrait se réunir avec les représentants des policiers qui se revendiquent du syndicat SPNH (non reconnu) autour de leurs revendications afin de trouver une solution à la crise que confronte l’institution policière

Avertissement de Moïse J-C

« La mobilisation va reprendre dans tout le pays. Si la population ne se soulève pas pour défendre ses droits, la situation sera pire. Il faut qu’on se soulève pour montrer au monde entier qu’on n’est pas d’accord avec l’ingérence de certains pays » a déclaré Moïse Jean Charles, leader de l’opposition radicale de la plateforme « Pitit Desalin ».

Les USA condamnent les violences en Haïti :

« Les États-Unis condamnent les violences récentes en Haïti https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30109-haiti-flash-affrontements-au-champ-de-mars-au-moins-une-douzaine-de-victimes-bilan-provisoire.html et appellent les haïtiens à rejeter la violence et à respecter l’État de Droit. Nous encourageons tous les Haïtiens à engager un dialogue constructif en vue de résoudre leurs différends. »

Protection de l’investissements étranger :

L’Ambassadeur d’Haïti au Royaume d’Espagne, Claude Joseph a rencontré José Sánchez Tinico, le Président de la Chambre de Commerce et d’industrie de Grande Canarie, pour discuter des efforts du Président Jovenel Moise visant à garantir l’investissement étranger en Haïti.

Bilan 3e jour gras du carnaval à Saint-Marc :

Au terme du 3e jour gras du carnaval à Saint-Marc, l’hôpital Saint-Nicolas a rapporté 8 blessés dont un par balle.

Épidémie COVID-19 : Bilan mondial 27 février 2020 :

Jeudi 27 février 2020, le nombre de personnes contaminées dans le monde par le Coronavirus COVID-19 (cas confirmés en laboratoire) s’élève aujourd’hui à 82,170 en hausse de 1,165 cas (+62.7%) par rapport à la veille (716), https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30126-haiti-actualite-zapping.html ; 2,804 décès (+1.5%) soit 42 cas de plus que la veille (2,762). Taux de mortalité moyen 3.4%. 32,898 personnes guéries soit 2,782 personnes (+19.6%) de plus par rapport à la veille (2,327).

On recense à ce jour hors de Chine, 3,673 cas confirmés de personnes dans un total de 49 pays (+24.9%) soit 732 cas de plus que la veille.

56 décès à l’étranger depuis le début de l’épidémie (décembre 2019) soit 7 de plus par rapport à la veille : 22 en Iran, 13 en Corée du Sud, 1 à Taïwan, 1 au Philippine, 2 à Hong Kong, 3 au Japon, 2 en France et 12 en Italie.

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Protests continue as violence intensifies

Published

on

By

ANKARA

Anti-government protests continue to rock the Caribbean nation of Haiti for more than a year, with violence taking a deadly toll. 

Gunfire interrupted on the first day of Haiti’s biggest carnival in the capital of Port-au-Prince last weekend, leaving at least one person dead and several wounded.

Carnival celebrations were canceled Sunday by the government “in order to avoid a planned bloodshed,” according to a statement released by the Communication Ministry.

The UN and the 35-member Organization of American States (OAS) regional bloc condemned increase violence and voiced concern for Haitians.

“We condemn the violence in Haiti and express our condolences to the families of the victims. We advocate for the solutions the country needs: end of violence, violence is not acceptable in any form, and above all, it is not acceptable with the intention of a violent change in the established democratic regime; political dialogue; stability; formation of a government and parliamentary elections as soon as technically possible,” OAS Secretary-General Luis Almagro tweeted Monday.

The UN also expressed concern about the police and military and condemned the use of violence by those branches.

It called on “all sectors of national life, in particular the police who demand better working conditions, to avoid any situation which could cause tensions to escalate and jeopardize the security of citizens.”

The UN and OAS have supported negotiations in recent months to forge consensus on a political agreement, but talks failed to yield progress on the formation of a new government.

Protests began in July 2018 in response to increased fuel prices, however, it evolved into demands for the resignation of President Jovenel Moise with a new wave of protests in February 2019.

Protesters demand the creation of a transitional government to provide social programs and prosecute allegedly corrupt officials.

They accuse senior government officials, including Moise, of misusing as much as $38 billion in loans from the Petrocaribe — an oil alliance between Caribbean member states and Venezuela.



Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending