Connect with us

Haiti

“Haiti is worse than this” – EyeWitness News

Published

on

NASSAU, THE BAHAMAS – After surviving deadly Hurricane Dorian, and now stuck in limbo in cramped shelters across New Providence facing deportation threats amid worsening ethnic tensions, Haitian migrants insisted yesterday, “Haiti is worse than this”.

“There are a lot of people not sleeping in there,” said Joseph Baptiste outside the Kendal G. L. Issacs Gymnasium.

“They are not eating. They have a lot of stress and worry. People are crying throughout the night. A lot of them lost their children.”

Migrants interviewed by Eyewitness News Online spoke in Haitian Kreyol, and their words were translated by Rights Bahamas President Stephanie St Fleur and member Rosie Bethel. They were all undocumented and their names have been changed to protect their identities.

It’s been one month since the Category 5 storm washed away the life they all knew.

Their comments came as police reported that another body had been found in The Peas, bringing the number of confirmed deaths to 61.

Ahead of the storm, officials went into shantytown communities to warn residents to evacuate due to the severity of the storm.

Casandra Jacques said she evacuated The Peas with her husband and son when they were told.

They went to an apartment complex in Central Pines.

However, they were forced out into the storm when the roof caved in. Jacques said those who knew how to swim pushed a refrigerator while she and her child sat atop it.

She said her son hasn’t seen his father since the storm, but he cries for him all the time.

Her husband had legal residency, and reportedly applied for her status before the storm.

She claimed her documents are ready but believes she will no longer be granted status due to his death.

Asked about her family in Haiti, Jacques said: “They crying because of the situation. The tragedy that happen, especially because how I’m here and my husband passed in the storm.

However, she added: “Haiti is worse than this”.

On Thursday, several migrants said this was not the life they envisioned when they took the perilous seven-day boat trip to the country.

For 23-year-old mother Jennie Pierre, the storm has now put her back where she was nearly two and half years ago.

Pierre said she paid a boat captain $2,500 in 2017 to bring her to The Bahamas, along with 30 other Haitian migrants.

She left her first child behind in Haiti in the care of relatives, and now has a one-year-old infant who was born in The Bahamas.

Pierre said they were dropped off in Eleuthera and she made her way to Abaco, where her husband was already working and living.

“God brought me here,” Pierre said.

“The sea was rough and you had to be squashed in the boat.

“I’m afraid to go back. They having riots all the time and burning the country down.

“It doesn’t make any sense going back home. There’s nothing there, only more problems.”

Pierre worked in Hope Town as a housekeeper before the storm, and claimed she had started her work permit process.

Immigration law mandates the application process for a work permit must be filed from the applicant’s home country.

Pierre said her employer survived the storm, but she is unsure whether her application will be continued.

Her husband – who is also undocumented – is still in Hope Town assisting clean up efforts, she said.

On Thursday, scores of storm victims could be seen milling around, just trying to pass the time.

Many of them were evacuated from Abaco after their shantytown homes were flattened by Dorian.

The preliminary Abaco Shantytown Assessment Report, 2018, revealed that 41.1 percent of residents in shantytowns on Abaco reportedly held work permits as the legal ground for being in The Bahamas.

The report stated 70 percent of respondents in shantytowns in South Abaco had identified themselves as undocumented.

Rumors that immigration officials will begin sweeping shelters for undocumented migrants has intensified anxiety in the displaced community, Eyewitness News Online was told.

Pierre said she cannot go back to Abaco because she fears her baby will get sick without any functioning clinics or hospitals there.

She said she did not know what to do because she has no where to go and does not want to get caught.

If deported, Pierre believes her infant daughter will not be able to apply for Bahamian citizenship at 18.

She said she spends her days worrying and praying for herself and her child.

As of September 27, there were 1,041 evacuees being housed at the gym and three tents erected on the grounds.

However, migrants interviewed claimed numbers are slowly dwindling as they believe people who leave the property are being picked up by immigration and taken to the Carmichael Road Detention Centre.

“I am afraid to leave the property,” said Wilson Jean.

“People go missing from the shelter everyday. Once they leave, they don’t come back.”

Jean continued: “They are apprehended in the streets, even ones who have bands on from the shelter. When they don’t have stuff, they would go to the market to try to get some stuff and they get taken.”

In an address to Parliament on Wednesday, Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said he told the International Organization for Migration the country’s laws on “illegals” will be carried out in a humane manner.

Minnis warned migrants to leave or be forced to leave

A few days earlier, Attorney General Carl Bethel advised work permit holders who have lost their jobs due to the storm to “go home”.

But with intense poverty in Haiti and ongoing political unrest, migrants told Eyewitness News Online going “home” is not an option.

Cynthia Henry, a mother of one and grandmother of two, said she understands her nephew was apprehended, and there’s nothing anyone can do for him.

Henry said she hasn’t had a work permit since 2013 when her former boss died.

His daughter had promised to apply for one after he passed but the family suffered financial challenges and Henry was left to figure it out on her own.

Henry’s 32-year old daughter only holds a work permit and a promise from her Abaco employer that she can come back to work when conditions normalize.

As for Samuel Dacius, he said his work permit expired on Thursday.

“The storm just happened and we lost everything,” Dacius said.

“If the government could at least give us a chance to function before they deport us. We were living and surviving in Abaco, but now we have nothing.

“I have no problem going back to Haiti because that’s my home. But it’s just that I don’t have any support or anything to take back home.”

 

 

 

 

 

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

FIFA suspends head of Haiti soccer amid sex abuse charges

Published

on

By

Yves Jean-Bart, president of the Haitian Football Federation, wearing a light blue protective face mask, arrives at a courthouse for a hearing regarding allegations that he abused female athletes at the country’s national training center, in Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti, Thursday, May 21, 2020. Several players and former players have come forward and accused him of sexual misconduct after he threatened to remove them from the team if they did not accept his advances.

Yves Jean-Bart, president of the Haitian Football Federation, wearing a light blue protective face mask, arrives at a courthouse for a hearing regarding allegations that he abused female athletes at the country’s national training center, in Croix-des-Bouquets, Haiti, Thursday, May 21, 2020. Several players and former players have come forward and accused him of sexual misconduct after he threatened to remove them from the team if they did not accept his advances.

AP

For two decades, Yves Jean-Bart has loomed large over Haitian soccer, a father figure in a country where people are as passionate about the sport as they are about politics.

Now, Jean-Bart, 73, is the focus of a sex abuse probe by FIFA which on Monday announced that its investigatory chamber has temporarily suspended Jean-Bart while it investigates allegations that he coerced young female players into having sex.

“This sanction has been imposed in connection with ongoing investigations concerning Mr Jean-Bart,” the Federation Internationale de Football Association said in a brief statement.

The suspension is for 90 days, and Jean-Bart, who has been at the helm of the Haitian Football Federation since 2000 and recently was elected to a sixth term, is banned from all soccer-related activities at both the national and international level.

Known as “Dadou,” Jean-Bart just recently started his 20th year as president of the Haitian Football Federation.

FIFA, which is still emerging from a 2015 bribery scandal, opened an investigation into Jean-Bart after the Guardian published an article last month on the allegations. The piece, quoting anonymous players and their families, accused Jean-Bart of coercing young female soccer players at Haiti’s national training center, the Centre Technique National in Croix-des-Bouquets, into having sex. The incidents are alleged to have occurred within the last five years.

Jean-Bart has strongly denied the allegations, calling them baseless. He said they were aimed at destabilizing him, the Haitian federation and his family. Following the article, several players staged a protest at the training center. In a statement he said the allegations are aimed at trying to oust him as head of the federation.

“These false accusations are as criminal as the practice of child sexual abuse. The design of the detractors aims to grab the FHF without going through the election process,” he said in a statement.

In a statement, the Haitian Football Federation called the allegations suspicious and highlighted Jean-Bart’s contributions to the development and success of youth training programs for Haiti’s girls and boys despite the lack of financial resources and support.

Feminists organizations in Haiti issued statements in support of the alleged female victims while demanding his suspension from the Haitian federation. Human rights groups have also demanded an investigation into the allegations.

Haitian police have also launched an investigation.

Jacqueline Charles has reported on Haiti and the English-speaking Caribbean for the Miami Herald for over a decade. A Pulitzer Prize finalist for her coverage of the 2010 Haiti earthquake, she was awarded a 2018 Maria Moors Cabot Prize — the most prestigious award for coverage of the Americas.

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
25/05/2020 11:42:17

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

Le marché Shadda détruit par un incendie :

Dimanche un incendie a ravagé le marché « Shadda » à Pétion-Ville. Les dégâts et les pertes de marchandises sont considérables. L’incendie aurait pour origine le brûlage d’ordures à proximité du marché dont les flammes se seraient propagées. Les pompiers ont pu circonscrire le sinistre et éviter la propagation des flammes hors du marché.

Le Ministère à la condition féminine en quarantaine :

En raison de 2 cas suspects de Covid-19 au Ministère à la condition féminine et aux droits des femmes (en attente de confirmation du test) et pour éviter la propagation du virus tout le personnel du ministère a été invité à rester chez eux pendant une quinzaine de jours et à se rendre rendre disponible en cas de besoin. Le télétravail sera appliqué pour tout ceux qui le peuvent.

Covid-19 : Prise en charge assuré par l’État

« La prise en charge des personnes infectées par la Covid19 est assurée gratuitement par l’Etat haïtien. La population doit continuer à suivre les consignes des autorités sanitaires. Il ne peut y avoir de déni de l’épidémie […] Il faut changer de comportement aujourd’hui… si vous présentez des symptômes liés à la Covid-19 (fièvre, toux sèche, fatigue…) il faut prendre contact en urgence avec un professionnel de la santé » a déclaré Eddy Jackson Alexis, le Secrétaire d’État à la Communication

FAd’H : opération de nettoyage et de désinfection

Dans le cadre de la lutte contre la propagation de l’épidémie de Covid-19, les Forces Armées d’Haïti (FAd’H) ont lancé au cours de la semaine écoulée une vaste opération de nettoyage et de désinfection des rues dans la zone métropole. Cette initiative s’inscrit dans le cadre d’une série de mesures mise en oeuvre par le haut État-major en vue d’assister la population haïtienne dans le cadre de la lutte engagée contre le Coronavirus qui a déja contaminé 958 personnes https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30857-haiti-flash-958-cas-confirmes-et-3-115-cas-suspects.html

Distribution de masques et de savon dans la Grand’Anse :

A l’initiative de l’Administration Moïse/Jouthe en collaboration avec le Bureau de la Première Dame Martine Moïse, plus de 5,000 masques et des paquets de savon ont été distribués durant le weekend à Bonbon et Desameaux dans la Grand’Anse. Cette campagne de distribution va s’étendre sur tout le département afin de renforcer la lutte contre la propagation la Covid-19.

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Liverpool’s clash against Atletico Madrid ‘led to 41 additional deaths’

Published

on

By

An analysis of data has discovered that ‘s Champions League last-16 second leg against at Anfield ‘led to 41 additional deaths’ due to . 

Jurgen Klopp’s side hosted their Spanish rivals at Anfield on March 11 in front of 52,000 fans. There were 3,000 Atletico Madrid fans in attendance. 

The match was the last major game played in England before lockdown restrictions were enacted and the league was temporarily suspended due to the scale of the coronavirus pandemic.  

A explains how Edge Health, a group that analyse NHS data through data-modelling, believe the game at Anfield led to 41 additional deaths between 25 to 35 days later. continue reading

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.

Haitian Times

Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending