Connect with us

Entertainment

Glastonbury 2020 reveals line-up amid uncertainty over coronavirus

Published

on


Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar and Pet Shop BoysImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Dua Lipa, Kendrick Lamar and the Pet Shop Boys will all headline stages at the festival

Dua Lipa, the Pet Shop Boys and Mabel will all play the Glastonbury Festival this summer – provided it isn’t cancelled because of the coronavirus.

More than 90 names were added to the line-up on Thursday, joining headliners Taylor Swift and Sir Paul McCartney.

US rap star Kendrick Lamar will top the bill on Friday, with Supergrass, Lana Del Rey and AJ Tracey also due to play.

Emily Eavis said organisers had “fingers firmly crossed” the event would go ahead in June.

She said she was releasing a poster of the line-up “with the best intentions” given “the current circumstances”.

“As things stand we are still working hard to deliver our 50th anniversary festival in June and we are very proud of the bill that we have put together over the last year or so,” she said.

“No one has a crystal ball to see exactly where we will all be 15 weeks from now, but we are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that it will be here at Worthy Farm for the greatest show on Earth!”

The coronavirus outbreak has already affected several tours and festivals, with acts like The Who, BTS, Miley Cyrus and Madonna having cancelled or postponed shows.

In the US, April’s Coachella festival has been delayed, while music industry showcase South By Southwest, was scrapped altogether.

The Country To Country festival, due to take place in London, Dublin and Glasgow this weekend, was also postponed at the last minute on Thursday night. Rescheduled dates will be announced “in the coming days,” organisers said.

With more disruptions expected, shares in concert promoters Live Nation dropped by 16.6% on Wednesday, representing a single-day loss of more than $1.8bn (£1.4bn).

Glastonbury’s team are hoping their festival can go ahead if the spread of the virus slows down.

However, if there is a government-imposed lockdown in the run-up to the festival, it could impact their ability to build stages and prepare the Somerset site for the arrival of 175,000 ticket-holders on 24 June.

Image copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Taylor Swift will headline the Pyramid Stage on Sunday night… if the show goes ahead

The acts announced on Thursday did not constitute Glastonbury’s full line-up, but flagged up some of the festival’s biggest bookings for 2020.

Among them were former headliners Manic Street Preachers, Happy Mondays, Sinead O’Connor and Skunk Anansie, alongside festival stalwarts Dizzee Rascal, Primal Scream and Elbow.

Suzanne Vega, the festival’s first-ever female headliner, will also return to Worthy Farm – 31 years after playing the Pyramid Stage in a bullet-proof vest, after her band received death threats.

Brazilian Tropicalia legend Gilberto Gil will make his first appearance since playing Glastonbury’s inaugural festival in 1970. The musician was actually been living in the Eavis farmhouse at the time, whilst exiled in the UK.

Gender balance

US R&B stars TLC will make their debut, while Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds will play immediately before Paul McCartney’s Saturday night headline slot.

Pop icon Diana Ross has already been announced to play the Sunday afternoon “legend slot”; while festival favourites Dua Lipa, Pet Shop Boys and Fatboy Slim will headline The Other Stage – Glastonbury’s second-biggest arena.

Fifty-two per cent of the acts announced so far are female or bands featuring a mix of genders, after Eavis pledged to achieve a gender-balanced line-up “as soon as possible”.

“Our future has to be 50/50,” she told Radio 1’s Newsbeat earlier this year.

“It’s a challenge. Everyone’s finding it hard – but the acts are there,” she said, adding that Glastonbury’s former line-ups had “always been male-heavy”.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein: Four more women accuse producer of assault

Published

on

By


Harvey WeinsteinImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier this year

Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has been accused of sexual assault by four further women as he serves a 23-year prison sentence.

Court documents filed in New York on Thursday allege several sexual offences dating from 1984 to 2013.

One of the four anonymous women was 17 at the time of an alleged attack.

Weinstein’s legal representative told BBC News: “Mr Weinstein intends to defend against the claims filed anonymously against him yesterday.”

The lawyer, Imran H Ansari of Aidala, Bertuna & Kamins PC, added: “Some of these claims, including those alleged to have occurred in the 1980s and 1990s, may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations, and not subject to any exceptions under the law, as these plaintiffs do not appear to be complainants in Mr Weinstein’s criminal case.”

  • Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault
  • How the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded

The latest legal cases allege multiple sexual offences against four women, who currently reside in Tennessee, New York, Ecuador and Hungary.

Some of the attacks allegedly took place after meetings with Weinstein at the Cannes and Venice Film Festivals.

The new allegations include:

  • A 43-year-old woman from Tennesee claims that in 1994, when she was 17, Weinstein “falsely imprisoned, sexually assaulted, sexually battered and raped her” in his hotel room. The plaintiff, who wanted to break into the entertainment industry, alleges Weinstein demanded she perform oral sex on him.
  • A 70-year-old woman from Ecuador claims that in 1984, when she was 34, Weinstein allegedly pinned her against a door and fondled her in his hotel room in Cannes, when she was looking to start a career as a documentary filmmaker.
  • A 38-year old woman said she met Weinstein in Manhattan in 2008 and he offered to “help take her career to the next level”. He allegedly raped her in his Soho apartment a few days later, telling her he would ruin her if she told anyone.
  • A 35-year-old woman from Hungary claims that in 2013, when she was 26, she met Weinstein at the Venice Film Festival. A few months later, he allegedly forced her to perform oral sex on him when she met him in a hotel room.

Allegations against Weinstein began to emerge in October 2017, when The New York Times first reported incidents dating back decades.

At least 80 women have since accused him of sexual misconduct, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

Weinstein issued an apology acknowledging he had “caused a lot of pain”, but denied any allegations of non-consensual sex.

In February, Weinstein was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act, and later sentenced to 23 years in jail.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Remi Wolf on how she makes music videos in lockdown

Published

on

By


Music videos are often big budget affairs filmed in glamorous locations with a cast and crew to rival a movie. But what happens when a pandemic strikes and everyone is told to practise social distancing and not leave their home?

Rising star Remi Wolf told the BBC’s Sophie van Brugen how she got around the problem, and what coronavirus could mean for the future of the music video.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Coronavirus: Cultural sector “first to suffer and last to come back” – Bjorn Ulvaeus

Published

on

By


Bjorn Ulvaeus, one quarter of ABBA and President of the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers (CISAC) said the cultural sector is ‘extra vulnerable’ due to Coronavirus and urged governments for support.

The musician told the BBC that he hopes to use technology to help creators get payments ‘more efficiently and accurately’.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending