Connect with us

Entertainment

Glastonbury 2019: Who is the woman Liam Gallagher dedicated a song to?

Published

on


LiamGgallagher

Image caption

As well as Lauren’s dedication, Liam played Champagne Supernova in honour of The Prodigy’s Keith Flint

As he played Glastonbury’s Pyramid Stage on Saturday, Liam Gallagher dedicated Slide Away to a fan who’d been taken ill.

“Last year,” he told the crowd, “I met this lovely lady and she wasn’t too well”.

“She said, ‘If you do Glastonbury, can you dedicate this song to me… if I get there?’

“Well, I’m here, and hopefully you’re here. This one’s for her, she’s called Lauren.”

It turns out that Lauren is Lauren Mahon, the host of 5 Live’s You, Me And The Big C – a podcast about living with cancer.

Mahon, who was indeed in the audience at the Pyramid Stage, says the dedication was a bolt from the blue, based on a conversation she had with the singer last year at a Stand Up To Cancer event.

“They always say don’t meet your heroes, but he was absolutely unbelievably kind,” she recalls.

“I told him the story that, basically, two years ago I’d just finished chemo and surgery, and I’d pushed my radiotherapy back a week so I could come here. It was my goal to get back to Glastonbury.

“I went to see Liam at the Other Stage and he played Slide Away, and I cried my eyes out with all my friends.

“So I told him that story. I just said, ‘Babe, you brought me back to life.’ And he said, ‘Tell you what, next time I play Glastonbury, I’m dedicating Slide Away to you.’

“I really didn’t think anything would come about. We got on really well, and he was lovely and considerate and kind, but I didn’t think he would remember me. Then he did it!

“It’s mad,” she added. “I still can’t believe it happened. I don’t know where I go from here in life.”

Image caption

Lauren told her story to BBC 5 Live’s Colin Paterson

Coincidentally, Gallagher’s dedication came the night after The Killers played A Dustland Fairytale for Mahon’s co-host, Rachel Bland, who succumbed to cancer last September, during their Glastonbury warm-up show in Wales.

They honoured Bland after her husband, Steve, contacted the band to explain how, during her illness, seeing them in concert had lifted her spirits.

“We had seen them a couple of times in the last couple of years when she wasn’t well but when we would go to a concert and see them it kind of made her forget what she was going through and how unwell she really was,” he said.

Before playing the song in her memory, singer Brandon Flowers told the crowd: “There was a light that went out too soon, her name was Rachael, will you put your lights up for us in her memory?”

Image caption

Lauren Mahon (centre) with her Big C co-hosts Deborah James (left) and the late Racheal Bland

Follow us on Facebook, on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts, or on Instagram at bbcnewsents. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

Harvey Weinstein: Four more women accuse producer of assault

Published

on

By


Harvey WeinsteinImage copyright
Reuters

Image caption

Weinstein was sentenced to 23 years in prison earlier this year

Disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein has been accused of sexual assault by four further women as he serves a 23-year prison sentence.

Court documents filed in New York on Thursday allege several sexual offences dating from 1984 to 2013.

One of the four anonymous women was 17 at the time of an alleged attack.

Weinstein’s legal representative told BBC News: “Mr Weinstein intends to defend against the claims filed anonymously against him yesterday.”

The lawyer, Imran H Ansari of Aidala, Bertuna & Kamins PC, added: “Some of these claims, including those alleged to have occurred in the 1980s and 1990s, may be barred by the applicable statute of limitations, and not subject to any exceptions under the law, as these plaintiffs do not appear to be complainants in Mr Weinstein’s criminal case.”

  • Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault
  • How the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded

The latest legal cases allege multiple sexual offences against four women, who currently reside in Tennessee, New York, Ecuador and Hungary.

Some of the attacks allegedly took place after meetings with Weinstein at the Cannes and Venice Film Festivals.

The new allegations include:

  • A 43-year-old woman from Tennesee claims that in 1994, when she was 17, Weinstein “falsely imprisoned, sexually assaulted, sexually battered and raped her” in his hotel room. The plaintiff, who wanted to break into the entertainment industry, alleges Weinstein demanded she perform oral sex on him.
  • A 70-year-old woman from Ecuador claims that in 1984, when she was 34, Weinstein allegedly pinned her against a door and fondled her in his hotel room in Cannes, when she was looking to start a career as a documentary filmmaker.
  • A 38-year old woman said she met Weinstein in Manhattan in 2008 and he offered to “help take her career to the next level”. He allegedly raped her in his Soho apartment a few days later, telling her he would ruin her if she told anyone.
  • A 35-year-old woman from Hungary claims that in 2013, when she was 26, she met Weinstein at the Venice Film Festival. A few months later, he allegedly forced her to perform oral sex on him when she met him in a hotel room.

Allegations against Weinstein began to emerge in October 2017, when The New York Times first reported incidents dating back decades.

At least 80 women have since accused him of sexual misconduct, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Uma Thurman and Salma Hayek.

The allegations were at the centre of the #MeToo movement that inspired women to go public with misconduct allegations against powerful men.

Weinstein issued an apology acknowledging he had “caused a lot of pain”, but denied any allegations of non-consensual sex.

In February, Weinstein was convicted in New York City of third-degree rape and first-degree criminal sexual act, and later sentenced to 23 years in jail.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Remi Wolf on how she makes music videos in lockdown

Published

on

By


Music videos are often big budget affairs filmed in glamorous locations with a cast and crew to rival a movie. But what happens when a pandemic strikes and everyone is told to practise social distancing and not leave their home?

Rising star Remi Wolf told the BBC’s Sophie van Brugen how she got around the problem, and what coronavirus could mean for the future of the music video.



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Coronavirus: Cultural sector “first to suffer and last to come back” – Bjorn Ulvaeus

Published

on

By


Bjorn Ulvaeus, one quarter of ABBA and President of the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers (CISAC) said the cultural sector is ‘extra vulnerable’ due to Coronavirus and urged governments for support.

The musician told the BBC that he hopes to use technology to help creators get payments ‘more efficiently and accurately’.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending