Connect with us

Entertainment

Game of Thrones writers Benioff and Weiss leave Star Wars trilogy

Published

on


David Benioff and DB WeissImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

The pair brought the Game of Thrones books to the small screen

Game of Thrones writers David Benioff and DB Weiss have left the next Star Wars trilogy, which is due to launch in 2022.

The news comes after the pair signed an exclusive deal with Netflix.

“There are only so many hours in the day, we could not do justice to both Star Wars and our Netflix projects,” a statement given to Deadline read.

They added that “getting to talk about Star Wars” with creator George Lucas had been “the thrill of a lifetime”.

They said: “We love Star Wars. When George Lucas built it, he built us too.”

Image copyright
Sky

Image caption

Game of Thrones first aired in 2011

Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said that they would be welcomed back in the future. “David Benioff and Dan Weiss are incredible storytellers,” she said.

“We hope to include them in the journey forward when they are able to step away from their busy schedule to focus on Star Wars.”

According to a Disney release schedule published in May, the trilogy is due to be the next set of Star Wars films, following this December’s The Rise of Skywalker, the final chapter of the Skywalker family chronicles.

The next films are scheduled for 2022, 2024 and 2026, and are set to usher in a new era for the famous franchise.

There was much fanfare when the two writers were unveiled as the writers behind the new Star Wars movies last February.

While Game of Thrones was a huge success, there was consternation from some fans over the final series, which aired earlier this year. A petition calling on HBO to redo season eight has been signed by more than 1.75 million disgruntled fans.

Image copyright
Disney/Lucasfilm

Image caption

The Rise of Skywalker will be released in December

The Change.org petition argues that Benioff and Weiss “have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent”.

The pair made a rare public appearance at the weekend at the Austin Film Festival, according to Metro, where they admitted that the experience working on Game of Thrones was like an “expensive film school”.

When asked why they didn’t bring in more writers to the show, they replied: “Because we didn’t know better.”

Many have been wondering how duo would combine their work for Netflix with the Star Wars commitments.

Speculation has also begun about who will replace them, with some on social media pointing out the lack of diversity behind the camera for Star Wars films to date.

Meanwhile, fans have been treated to a new trailer for Disney Plus’s Star Wars TV series The Mandalorian., which takes place after the fall of the Empire in 1983’s The Return of the Jedi.

Disney Plus will launch in the US on November 12, but no date has yet been announced for the UK.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

Sausage roll enthusiast LadBaby takes aim at second Christmas number one

Published

on

By


LadBabyImage copyright
Ladbaby

Image caption

The star recorded his new single with his wife, Roxanne, at Abbey Road studios

YouTube star LadBaby, who scored last year’s Christmas number one with an ode to sausage rolls, is mounting a second assault on the charts.

The “dad blogger” has rewritten Joan Jett’s I Love Rock & Roll for this year’s attempt; once again extolling the virtues of pork-stuffed pastry.

I Love Sausage Rolls was recorded at Abbey Road, but LadBaby maintains he’s “no more professional” than before.

“Brace yourself, my singing voice is back,” he told the BBC.

The single won’t be released until Friday, 13 December – but it’s crammed full of meaty puns, leading to the inevitable chorus: “I love sausage rolls / So put another one in the oven, baby“.

  • LadBaby pulls off Christmas chart upset
  • Lyra, six, beats Stormzy to top download chart

Ladbaby, whose real name is Mark Hoyle, said the parody was written in “about five hours” after he and his wife Roxanne chose it from a playlist of the UK’s favourite karaoke songs.

“We basically went down the Top 50 karaoke songs in the UK – because we wanted a song, like last year, where everyone knows the words and you can sing along to it and the kids can join in and have fun.”

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Proceeds from the single will support food banks, which see a surge in demand over Christmas

Last year, the YouTube star captured the public’s imagination with the comedy hit We Built This City On Sausage Rolls. The song went straight to number one, beating the likes of Ava Max and Ariana Grande, as well as seasonal favourites by Mariah Carey and The Pogues.

All of the proceeds went to The Trussell Trust, a foodbank charity, funding about 70,000 emergency food packages over the festive period.

Hoyle said he had intended to end the story there, until he saw the charity’s work first-hand.

“We basically spent a few days meeting the volunteers and understanding how the food banks work,” he said, “and while we were there, the doorbell rang once every two or three minutes with more people coming in.

“Once we saw how far the money goes, we thought, ‘Do you know what? If we can get anywhere near raising that sort of money again, then why not?'”

According to The Trussell Trust’s own research, more than 823,000 parcels were provided by food banks in the UK between April and September this year – an increase of 23% increase from the same period as last year.

“They said the Christmas period is the worst – that’s when they have the most people in,” Hoyle added. “So for us, it was a no-brainer to try to help those guys again.”

Image copyright
LadBaby

Image caption

The single’s artwork parodies The Beatles’ classic Abbey Road album sleeve, starring Mark, Roxanne and their two sons

If I Love Sausage Rolls gets to number one, LadBaby will be only the third act in UK chart history to have consecutive Christmas chart-toppers.

“There’s a chance we can be in there with the Beatles and the Spice Girls,” says Hoyle. “There’s never been a novelty act with back-to-back Christmas number ones, so we could make some history.”

However, the record faces stiff competition this year, with the likes of Lewis Capaldi and Taylor Swift taking a swing at the festive chart.

Australian artist Tones & I could also cling on to the top spot – she’s currently enjoying a 10th week at number one with the quirky pop single Dance Monkey; while fans of Wham! are trying to propel Last Christmas to number one (for the first time) in honour of the song’s 35th anniversary.

LadBaby isn’t even the only charity single in the running: Broadchurch actor Shaun Dooley has teamed up with the Grimethorpe Colliery Band to cover Taylor Swift’s Never Grow Up in aid of Children In Need; while six-year-old Lyra Cole has recorded a version of When A Child is Born for Brain Tumour Research, which helped her through emergency surgery as a baby.

“It feels like there’s more competition this year,” agrees Hoyle, “so the chances of doing it again seem very slim.”

But if they reach their goal, he promises to go one better next year.

“We were joking the other day, ‘How do you get bigger than Abbey Road?'” he says. “And I think we’d have to fly to LA and do an album with Dr Dre.”

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jacqueline Jossa wins I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!

Published

on

By


Jacqueline JossaImage copyright
ITV

Former EastEnders star Jacqueline Jossa has won I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! after spending three weeks in the Australian jungle.

The actress was named queen of the jungle, following in the footsteps of previous winners like Harry Redknapp, Stacey Solomon and Kerry Katona.

Co-presenters Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly revealed the winner at the end of the final of the ITV reality show.

Actor Andy Whyment was the runner-up, with radio DJ Roman Kemp in third.

Jossa played Lauren Branning in BBC soap EastEnders between 2010 and 2018.

After she was named queen of the jungle, she said: “I have no words.”

This year’s series – the 19th – was the first not to have live insects eaten as part of the show’s “bushtucker trials”.

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

Coronation Street actor Andy Whyment took part in a “bushtucker bonanza” before he came second

Image copyright
ITV

Image caption

Radio host Roman Kemp came third

Any insects consumed on the show were already dead – though live creepy-crawlies were still dumped on its celebrity contestants.

But the show was not without controversy, with former sports stars James Haskell and Ian Wright being accused of bullying their fellow campmates.

Viewers also contacted media watchdog Ofcom to complain that some of the show’s challenges were too hard and thus unfair.

There was contention before the series even aired, with former Commons Speaker John Bercow demanding a newspaper apologise for claiming he had asked for £1m to appear.

DJ Tony Blackburn was the first celebrity to be crowned King of the Jungle when the show first aired in 2002.

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Juice Wrld: US rapper dies aged 21 ‘after seizure at airport’

Published

on

By


Juice Wrld, real name Jarad Anthony Higgins, was considered to be a rising star of rap musicImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Juice Wrld, real name Jarad Anthony Higgins, was considered to be a rising star of rap music

Juice Wrld, a US rapper who shot to fame on music streaming platforms, has died at the age of 21.

Celebrity news website TMZ said he died after suffering a seizure at Chicago’s Midway airport on Sunday morning.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said the cause was unknown.

Juice Wrld, real name Jarad Anthony Higgins, was best-known for his viral 2018 hit Lucid Dreams. Mental health, mortality and drug use were common themes in his music.

Chicago police told the BBC a 21-year-old man suffered a medical emergency at around 02:00 local time (08:00 GMT) and was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

  • XXXTentacion: The troubled talent of a volatile rap star
  • Do rap videos glamorise violence?

Anthony Guglielmi, a police spokesman, told the Chicago Sun Times there were “no signs of foul play” and it was unclear whether drugs played a role in his death.

Who was Juice Wrld?

Born in Chicago, Illinois, in 1998, Juice Wrld started rapping in high school, using online music streaming platform SoundCloud to upload and promote his music.

He went on to release his debut full-length EP, 999, on the platform in 2017, garnering him attention from fellow Chicago-based artists such as G Herbo and Lil Bibby.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Juice Wrld shot to fame in 2018, when hit single Lucid Dreams reached number two in the charts

The rapper rose to fame in 2018, when hit singles All Girls Are the Same and Lucid Dreams, which peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, drew the attention of music fans and record labels.

More plaudits followed the release first studio album, Goodbye & Good Riddance, in 2018, cementing his himself as one of the rising stars of US rap.

In early 2018, he was signed by Interscope Records, landing a record deal reported to be worth more than $3m (£2.2m). He topped the Billboard chart this year with his second album Death Race for Love.

Image copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Juice Wrld celebrated his 21st birthday last week

In one of his songs, Juice Wrld rapped about the short lives of artists, saying “all the legends seem to die out”.

The song, titled Legends, was dedicated to two late rappers, 20-year-old XXXTentacion and 21-year-old Lil Peep, who died in 2018 and 2017, respectively.

In the song Juice Wrld rapped: “What’s the 27 Club? We ain’t making it past 21. I been going through paranoia.”

Juice Wrld had celebrated his 21st birthday last week. In a tweet, he said it was “one of his best” birthdays yet.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionGrime artist Ransom FA spoke to the BBC about the challenges of breaking into the music industry

His music has been described as emo rap, a genre that draws influences from hip hop and alternative rock.

In a four-star review of his second album, music publication NME said the rapper “makes songs that stick, his vocal dissonance capturing what it feels like to be young and in pain, and feeling a sense of indifference towards authority figures”.

In a 2018 interview with the New York Times, Juice Wrld opened up about his use of cannabis and Xanax, an anti-anxiety medication.

“I smoke weed, and every now and then I slip up and do something that’s poor judgment,” he told the paper.

Who has paid tribute?

In a tweet, British singer-songwriter Ellie Goulding, who collaborated with Juice Wrld on her 2019 single Hate Me, described the rapper as “such a sweet soul” who had “so much further to go”.

Chicago-based artist Chance the Rapper paid a heartfelt tribute on Instagram, writing: “Millions of people, not just in Chicago but around the world are hurting because of this and don’t know what to make of it.”

“Wow, I cannot believe this. Rip my brother juice world,” tweeted fellow rapper Lil Yachty.

US rapper Lil Nas X, also writing on Twitter, said it is “so sad how often this is happening lately to young talented rising artists”.

Hip hop artist HaHa Davis wrote on Twitter: “Heartbroken @JuiceWorlddd I love you bro.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending