Seventeen-year-old Jahhym Azoo, who barely survived a violent mugging in Grays Farm on Thursday September 5th, 2019, is said to be slowly recovering.
His mother, Odiel Furlong has been told by nurses at the Mount St John’s Medical Centre (MSJMC) that her son is responsive. Furlong though, has not yet spoken with her son as he is mostly asleep.
At the time of publication, she was attempting to speak with her son’s doctors to find out whether any of his internal head injuries would produce long term effects.
On Tuesday, doctors removed Azoo’s bandages, revealing the 19 staples that had been affixed to his head by specialist doctors from Trinidad and Tobago when they attempted life-saving surgery over the weekend. Last Sunday morning, doctors operated on his head and were able to successfully control the bleeding in his brain. Azoo then underwent another surgery in an attempt to repair the severe damage to his face. According to his mother, the entire row of her son’s bottom teeth was knocked out. Some of the teeth were discovered inside his nose. Azoo’s nose and jaws also had to be wired during facial surgery.
The family of Azoo has already been given a hospital bill of $29,731.48 reflective of medical care from the day he was admitted to MSJMC to Monday. Furlong told OBSERVER the family anticipates more bills to come.
When the 17-year-old was taken to the MSJMC, he was reported as unresponsive and was placed on life support in the Intensive Care Unit.
Doctors had given him a 50 percent chance of survival due to the bleeding on his brain.
Paul Baron suspended as National Youth Council President
5 hours ago
November 20, 2019
Paul Baron has been suspended as president of the National Youth Council of Dominica (NYCD).
In a press release issued today, the NYCD states that the Council’s Executive has taken a decision to suspend Baron as its president with effect from the 15th of October, 2019.
In its release, the NYCD executive accuses Baron of engaging “in a series of actions and statements that we, the other executive members have deemed unacceptable in this position[President of NYCD].”
The release goes on to state, “Since its inception in May of 2018, the new executive board has strived to be impactful, transparent and fully committed to the cause of developing the Dominican youth. However, several incidents have deemed us responsible for halting what can only be described as the tarnishing of the NYCD name and reputation.”
The NYCD executive cites, as the basis for its decision, Article 8, section 10, of the NYCD Constitution which reads: “The National Executive shall have the power to suspend a member of any Committee pending the calling of a General Assembly to resolve the matter provided that two thirds (2/3) of the total membership of the National Executive are in favor of such suspension.”
According to the release, seven of the current eight-member executive voted to suspend Baron.
It states that on the 15th of October 2019 Paul Baron was informed that he should desist from any action that constitutes him representing the National Youth Council as President until the next General Assembly.
“Hence, any public speech or statement made by Paul Baron is not to be associated with the National Youth Council of Dominica or on the behalf of the council,” the release states. “He is also not permitted to act as the NYCD’s representative in any capacity.”
Earlier this year, Chief Youth Development Officer, John Roach called on Baron to do “the honourable thing and resign” if he could not adhere to the NYC Code of Conduct.
Roach commented after a former executive member of the NYCD, Stephenson “Jeff” Bellot demanded that Baron’s resign because of his public endorsement of Cozier Frederick, the Dominica Labour Party candidate for the Salybia Constituency.
Bellot accused Baron of violating the NYCD constitution, a point supported by Roach based on Section 3, Article VIII (Code of Conduct) of the NYC constitution which addresses the issue of political expression and affiliation by Executive members.
This section acknowledges that an Executive member is free to his independent political affiliation and is free to attend any political gathering. However, it also clearly states, “No member of the National Executive shall demonstrate openly in public forum, media appearance, political platform, or at such public events, show his partnership to any political party as this may have the potential to undermine the integrity and independence of the NYC.”
Baron’s suspension will remain in effect until the NYCD’s next general assembly which is due to be held in April next year.
An NYCD executive member told DNO that while Baron will be eligible to run again at the next general assembly, she believes that is unlikely to happen.
First Vice President of the Council, Kerdisha St.Louis, has assumed the responsibilities.
ELECTION: No competition in my constituency says Skerrit
9 hours ago
November 20, 2019
Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit has said that this is the easiest election for Dominicans to decide which party comes into power.
In an interview with the State-Owned DBS Radio, Skerrit stated that if any citizen loves Dominica, they will vote for the Dominica Labour Party (DLP) as his team has outlined its vision and plans for the country.
The prime minister will be going up against the new United Workers Party (UWP) Candidate for Vielle Case, CLement Marcellin and as far as Skerrit is concerned, Marcellin poses no threat to him.
“The people know who has been with them for the last 20 years especially in difficult times; they have known where the constituency was when I became the member of parliament in 2000. From a national standpoint, we have absolutely no doubt that labour is going to return victorious,” he maintains.
Skerrit added that what the DLP has done for Dominica, especially after Hurricane Maria, has been exceptional and believes a vast majority of Dominicans have recognized that DLP is the party for the future.
He said the opposition is about destruction and violence and has no vision for Dominica.
DEAR BELLA: I’m interested in my girlfriend’s mother
10 hours ago
November 20, 2019
I honestly think that young women should stop making babies early. I am a 34-year-old man and found myself in a predicament where I think I like my girlfriend’s mom.
Well, she has never showed any interest in me but she treats me with respect whenever I come over to see her daughter. However, these days I find myself thinking about my mother in law a lot. She looks really good for her age.
She had her first child (my girlfriend) when she was maybe 18 or so. It is like the lady never aged. She sometimes even looks better than her daughter.
Anyway, long and short Bella, I find myself coming to their house just to see the mother and not really because of my girlfriend.
Am I a bad person? How do I get the lady out of my head? Do I even love her daughter if I feel this way? I am so confused. Help me figure this out.
Hello Sad Fella,
You can either get over it or say goodbye to your girlfriend. Fantasies are one thing but you shouldn’t let a little fantasy intrude in your reality.
Spend some time considering why you would have such grand feelings for your girlfriends’ mother.
From what you’ve said, I think you know that the mom is never going to be interested in her daughter’s boyfriend.
If you still do enjoy your girlfriend’s company and you still have feelings for her, you’re just going to have to learn to focus on her and not her mom.