Connect with us

Haiti

Cuba Slams US ‘Criminal’ Practices it Says Are Undermining Country’s Development

Published

on

Cuba’s Foreign Minister, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla denounced the US for allocating tens of millions of dollars toward political subversion and denying the First Secretary of Cuba’s Communist Party an entry visa on the basis of “gross slanders”.  (Photo Credit: UN/Cia Pak)

NEW YORK, United
States, Monday September 30, 2019 –
Cuba’s Foreign Minister has condemned the United States for imposing
blockades and other “criminal, non-conventional measures” that are
hindering his country’s progress. 

Addressing the UN General Assembly on Saturday, Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla painted a grim picture of the foreign trade obstacles, banking and financial restrictions, and travel limitations which he said are part of Washington’s “steady and qualitative” increase in hostilities against Havana. 

Meanwhile, he stressed that
the US-imposed economic, commercial and financial
blockade continued to be the main obstacle to the country’s
development.  

With companies
transporting fuel, flag states, states of registration, as well as
shipping and insurance companies all being “threatened and persecuted” by
the US, Cuba has been “facing severe difficulties” and forced to adopt
temporary emergency measures. 

He rejected all such target
measures, saying the US itself is “drowning in a sea of corruption, lies
and immorality.”  He also denounced the country for allocating
tens of millions of dollars toward political subversion and denying the First
Secretary of Cuba’s Communist Party an entry visa on the basis
of “gross slanders”. 

Moreover, Rodríguez Parrilla pointed out that last week, in its
“anti-Cuban obsession”, the US had blamed Cuba for “the failed plan
to overthrow the Venezuelan Government.” 

“Bilateral relations between Cuba and
Venezuela are based on mutual respect and true solidarity,” he stressed,
affirming his country’s support for “the
legitimate Government headed by comrade Nicolas Maduro Moros”. 

The Foreign Minister condemned the US
for “the encouragement of coup d’etats, assassination of the country’s
leaders, economic warfare and sabotage to power generation plants”. 

Noting that the US and a few other countries recently decided to activate the “obsolete” Inter-American Treaty of Reciprocal Assistance, which he said “envisages the use of the military force,” Rodríguez Parrilla criticized the “absurd decision” as jeopardizing regional peace and security while justifying interference in Venezuela’s internal affairs. 

“We reject Washington’s attempts
to destabilize the Government of Nicaragua and ratify our unswerving
solidarity with President Daniel Ortega”, he continued. 

He said “neoliberal capitalism
is…responsible for the increasing social and economic inequality affecting even
the most developed societies” and that it “fosters corruption, social
marginalization, the rise in crime, racial intolerance and xenophobia”. 

Even under the present circumstances, Rodríguez Parrilla said “we will not renounce our determination to develop a civilized relation” with the US, as his country believed that to be the desire of the American and Cuban people living in the US. 

At the same time, the Foreign Minister cautioned that “economic aggression, no matter how hard the threats and blackmail might be, will not extract a single concession from us”. 

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

All on Track for Free and Fair Polls in Guyana, Says Election Commissioner

Published

on

By

GECOM Commissioner Vincent Alexander.

GEORGETOWN, Guyana, Wednesday February 26, 2020 – Preparations by the Guyana Elections Commission
(GECOM) for the March 2 general and regional elections are well underway and
will lead to free and fair polls, says Government Commissioner Vincent
Alexander.

“I think that we are still within our
deadlines and there are no discernible difficulties in terms of holding
elections in March. I am convinced that the preparations will lead to an
efficient election. I think they are leading to free and fair polls,” he said
yesterday.

He was speaking to the media as GECOM
met to iron out some issues, including matters raised by the opposition about
the reduction in the use of private residences as polling stations for the
elections.

Chief Elections Officer (CEO) Keith
Lowenfiield had noted that the Commission had taken the decision because of
recommendations by the Carter Centre following the 2015 elections, which
suggested that the elections body utilize more public places instead of private
residences.

The opposition has appealed the
decision.

“It means that there will be a review
of the places said to be congested and alternate arrangements will be made,
including the possibility of [tents] to facilitate less congested conditions,”
Alexander explained.

Last Friday, President David Granger said that the Government-appointed commissioners on the GECOM had no intention of disenfranchising anyone and that the selection of polling places rests solely with the elections commission.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
26/02/2020 10:58:49

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

Cayes : Projet électrique de 38 MW

Le projet de réseau rélectrique égional du Sud (Cayes) alimentera 10 communes : Cavaillon, Saint-Louis du Sud, Camp-Perrin, Maniche, Torbeck, Chantal, Saint-Jean du Sud, Arniquet et Port-Salut. Une centrale électrique au gaz de 20 Mégawatts (Mw) et une Centrale Photovoltaïque (Solaire) de 8 Mw seront construites pour alimenter ce réseau. À suivre…

Retour à la normale à P-a-P :

Après les violences du 23 février, la vie reprenait « son cours normal » mardi à Port-au-Prince. Les axes routiers avaient été dégagées des barricades érigées dimanche, les transports publics et privés étaient de nouveau en opération, les petites marchandes avaient repris possession des trottoirs et les commerces et des supermarchés avaient réouvert leurs portes. Lire aussi : https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30102-haiti-flash-haute-tension-au-champ-de-mars.html https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30109-haiti-flash-affrontements-au-champ-de-mars-au-moins-une-douzaine-de-victimes-bilan-provisoire.html

Kinapping : Les magistrats appelés à la prudence :

Face à l’augmentation des enlèvements contre rançons, l’Association des Magistrats Haïtiens (ANAMAH) exhorte dans une note, les magistrats en général à faire preuve de fermeté dans l’application de la loi et de prudence dans la gestion de leurs déplacements en particulier dans la zone métropolitaine de Port-au-Prince où les cas de kidnapping sont fréquent.

Des jeunes handicapés en stages d’entreprises :

Une équipe du Bureau du Secrétaire d’État à l’Intégration des Personnes Handicapées (BSEIPH) a visité plusieurs entreprises privées dont deux succursales d’Access Haïti, le restaurant El Cubanito et NOVAMAT Motors S.A où des jeunes professionnels handicapés effectuent un stage depuis environ un mois. À présent, 9 jeunes bénéficient de ce programme mis en place par le BSEIPH en collaboration avec « Humanité et Inclusion » afin d’améliorer l’employabilité des jeunes professionnels en situation de handicap. Des échanges sont en cours avec d’autres entreprises pour permettre à un plus grand nombre de personnes à besoins spéciaux de bénéficier de cette initiative. Ces stages durent deux mois.

Prix littéraire pour Fritz Deshommes :

Le Prix Joseph D. Charles 2019 a été décerné à Fritz Deshommes, le Recteur de l’Université d’État d’Haïti pour son ouvrage intitulé « Haïti : la Nation écartelée ». La cérémonie de remise du Prix se tiendra le vendredi 6 mars 2020 à 3h00 p.m. dans les jardins de la Bibliothèque Georges Castera du Limbé.

Épidémie COVID-19 : Bilan mondial 26 février 2020 :

Mardi 25 février 2020, le nombre de personnes contaminées dans le monde par le Coronavirus COVID-19 (cas confirmés en laboratoire) s’élève aujourd’hui à 81,005 en hausse de 716 cas (+15.6%) par rapport à la veille (848), https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30110-haiti-actualite-zapping.html ; 2,762 décès (+2.1%) soit 58 cas de plus que la veille (2,704). Taux de mortalité moyen 3.4%. 30,116 personnes guéries soit 2,327 personnes (+8.4%) de moins par rapport à la veille (2,641).

On recense à ce jour hors de Chine, 2,941 cas confirmés de personnes dans un total de 40 pays (+11.9%) soit 312 cas de plus que la veille.

44 décès à l’étranger depuis le début de l’épidémie (décembre 2019) soit 6 de plus par rapport à la veille : 15 en Iran, 12 en Corée du Sud, 1 à Taïwan, 1 au Philippine, 2 à Hong Kong, 1 au Japon, 2 en France et 10 en Italie.

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Police officers ordered to resume their posts – The Haitian Times

Published

on

By

Photo Credit: Juno7

Juno7 reported that Normil Rameau, Interim Director General of the National Police of Haiti, during a press briefing on Monday, Feb. 24, strongly condemned the regrettable clashes that occurred at the Champ de Mars in the context of a protest movement organized in the Haitian capital by agents to demand better living and working conditions. Incident costing the life of a police officer and a soldier.  “The police must be professional and vigilant with regard to the infiltration,” he said.

Rameau confirmed that a dialogue and facilitation commission made up of senior National Police officers and agents has been created to address their claims which he considers fair and legitimate considers fair and legitimate.  The mission of this commission is to conduct negotiations in order, he explains, to restore institutional stability and public peace.

read more

Haitian Times

Haitian Times

The Haitian Times was founded in 1999 as a weekly English language newspaper based in Brooklyn, NY.The newspaper is widely regarded as the most authoritative voice for Haitian Diaspora.

Haitian Times

Latest posts by Haitian Times (see all)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending