Connect with us

Haiti

Canadian Prime Minister Cancels Trip to Caribbean Amid Protests at Home

Published

on

Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has his hands full with an anti-pipeline protest at home.

OTTAWA, Canada, Monday February 17,
2020
– Prime Minister
Justin Trudeau will not be meeting with Caribbean Community (CARICOM) leaders
this week after all, choosing to remain at home to deal with a protest that is shutting
down train service across the country.

Trudeau had
been scheduled to participate in the CARICOM 31st Intersessional Heads of
Government Conference in Barbados to further strengthen his government’s partnership
with the regional grouping and, according to media reports in Canada, make a pitch
for a United Nations Security Council seat.

However, a statement from the Prime Minister’s Office yesterday evening said he had cancelled the trip and Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne would represent Canada at the February 18-19 meeting instead.

Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne will attend in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s place.

“Following
the government’s ongoing efforts to address infrastructure disruptions across
the country, the prime minister will convene the Incident Response Group
tomorrow to discuss steps forward,” the statement read.

“Our priority remains the safety and security of all Canadians and the swift resolution of this issue to restore service across the rail system in accordance with the law.”

Protesters
opposed to the building of the Coastal GasLink pipeline project through the
Wet’suwet’en nation’s traditional territory in British Columbia have blockaded
rail lines in parts of the country. And Trudeau has been criticized for his
overseas travel while the situation remains unresolved.

He returned
to Canada last Friday after spending a week in Ethiopia, Kuwait, Senegal and
Germany.

During his trip to Barbados, which was to begin today, he had been scheduled to discuss with the regional leaders, challenges of mutual interest, including protecting oceans and the environment in the fight against climate change in a region that is particularly vulnerable to its impacts, as well as creating good jobs for the middle class and sustainable economic growth. He was also to participate in group discussions and bilateral meetings with the CARICOM leaders.

A statement from the regional side stated that Trudeau, who had contacted CARICOM Chairman, Barbados’ Prime Minister Mia Mottley, and CARICOM Secretary General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque about the cancellation due to the “pressing domestic matters”, said the Canadian Prime Minister reiterated his desire to strengthen ties between the region and Canada and looked forward to another opportunity to interact with the leaders.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Anchored in Local Reality: Case Studies on Local Humanitarian Action from Haiti, Colombia, and Iraq – Oxfam America

Published

on

By

Anchored in Local Reality: Case Studies on Local Humanitarian Action from Haiti, Colombia, and Iraq  Oxfam America

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

COVID-19: St Lucia in Sudden Lockdown After Community Spread of Virus Confirmed

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Allen Chastanet

CASTRIES, St Lucia, Wednesday April 1, 2020 – St Lucia is now in lockdown, with authorities confirming that there has been community spread of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19).

In an address to the nation last night, just hours before this morning’s 5 a.m. curfew began, Prime Minister Allen Chastanet announced that the restrictions would remain until April 7 at 5 a.m.

On the same day that St Lucia recorded an additional four COVID-19 cases – pushing the confirmed cases which were all diagnosed within the space of two weeks to 13 – Chastanet said that after discussion with Cabinet colleagues and other stakeholders, “we have determined at this point that we have to expand our shutdown of the country”.

“People will only be allowed to leave their place of residence for medical emergencies. Supplies will be provided to the poor and vulnerable by NEMO [the National Emergency Management Organization],” he said.

“A person can only leave their place of residence upon written authorization by NEMO, inclusive of essential services. People are not permitted to go to the beach, go for a walk, or to visit their neighbour.”

Even supermarkets will remain closed during the lockdown.

“The Cabinet had to make this decision based on the evidence at hand and also recognizing the dilemma that we are in…. We can still get through this with minimizing the loss of lives, but it’s going to require a more stringent approach to social distancing,” the Prime Minister said.

“We have two choices. We can go through this very difficult and onerous curfew and remain in control of our destiny. And by control of our destiny what we mean is we can help determine how many people are going to lose their lives. That’s through our efforts.

“The other alternative is to allow the virus to spread quicker. The result of that is that it’s going to put tremendous amount of stress on our health services. And even though your government has done everything it can to prepare for this eventuality, we are reminded every day when we see Governors of New York and Connecticut, leaders of other countries that are much larger and much wealthier than St Lucia struggling to be able to get resources to deal with the number of cases that they have. If we allow this virus to spread uncontrollably, then the number of people that are going to be requiring hospitalization is going to be well beyond our means,” he added.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Sharon Belmar-George, speaking just before Prime Minister Chastanet’s address, said the current trend in confirmed COVID-19 cases indicates that there is local transmission and that the required infection prevention measures are not being adhered to by residents as recommended by the Ministry of Health and the World Health Organization.

“Our urgent single priority at this point is to significantly slow down and contain community spread of this virus to protect the health and safety of every individual. As such, more drastic measures are now necessary to reduce the impact at this stage,” she said.

The new measures replace an 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew that took effect on Monday night and was to remain in place until April 14. That had been preceded by an 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew that was to end on April 5.

After announcing the latest measures last night, Prime Minister Chastanet took to social media to defend the sudden lockdown.

“It has become absolutely necessary to elevate our State of Emergency to a 24-hour shutdown for the next seven days, until April 7th, 2020,” he wrote on Facebook.

“The tough decision to close supermarkets with immediate effect is due to the fact that we are currently experiencing community spread of COVID-19. By allowing supermarkets to remain open even if for just one more day, would defeat the purpose of social distancing as there will be a mass rush to purchase goods, possibly allowing for further spread of the virus.”

Chastanet said that while he understood that many residents would be “uncomfortable with the sudden implementation of this decision… this temporary inconvenience is for the greater good of the entire nation”.

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…

Published

on

By


Haïti – Actualité : Zapping…
31/03/2020 12:03:43

Haïti - Actualité : Zapping...

Attaque au couteau contre des policiers :

Lundi vers 2 heures du matin, un individu non identifié souffrant de troubles mentaux a attaqué au couteau 2 policiers du sous-commissariat de Canaan (commune de Croix-des-Bouquets). L’un des agents a été grièvement blessé et transporté d’urgence à l’hôpital, l’autre légèrement blessé et a pu regagner son domicile.

Port du masque obligatoire :

Lundi le Premier Ministre Joseph Jouthe a décaré que « Le port du masque sera obligatoire à partir de la semaine prochaine » en Haïti, précisant que le Gouvernement envisageait d’en distribuer gratuitement à la population.

Un homme d’affaires met son hôtel à la disposition du Gouvernement :

À Ouanaminthe, l’homme d’affaires Michelet Bien-Aimé a mis à la disposition du Gouvernement Haïtien, pour une période de 3 mois, son Hôtel de 50 chambres en vue de l’hébergement du personnel soignant chargé de prendre en charge les personnes infectées par le Covid-19.

BRH accès aux guichets, horaire réduit :

En raison de la pandémie de Covid-19, les guichets de la Banque de la République d’Haïti (BRH) seront ouverts seulement jusqu’à 2:00 p.m. du lundi au vendredi et jusqu’à midi le samedi.

Le Saviez-vous ?

Les plus puissants ouragans à avoir affecté Haïti sont : FLORA (1963), CLEO (1964) et MATTHEW (2016), de catégories 3-4, avec des vents soutenus de l’ordre de 230-240 km/h. ALLEN est le plus puissant ouragan ayant frappé Haïti depuis 1850. Avant MATTHEW, le dernier ouragan majeur à avoir frappé le pays est DAVID (catégorie 3). JEANNE est la tempête la plus meurtrière et a fait plus de 3,000 morts en Haïti en 2004.

PNH : Appel à la solidarité :

Face à la pandémie de Covid-19 , Rameau Normil, le Directeur Général a.i., de la Police Nationale d’Haïti (PNH) appelle la population haïtienne à faire preuve de solidarité, à appliquer les consignes des autorités sanitaires et à respecter les dispositions prises par le Gouvernement afin d’empêcher la propagation du coronavirus dans le pays.

HL/ HaïtiLibre

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Trending