Connect with us

Entertainment

BBC apologises to Bernardine Evaristo for ‘another author’ ad lib

Published

on


Margaret Atwood and Bernardine EvaristoImage copyright
Getty Images

Image caption

Margaret Atwood and Bernardine Evaristo shared the Booker Prize

The BBC has apologised for referring to Booker Prize joint-winner Bernardine Evaristo as “another author” without naming her directly.

Evaristo became the first black woman to win the prestigious award this year, sharing it with Margaret Atwood.

In its Turner Prize coverage on Tuesday, a BBC newsreader referred to Atwood but not Evaristo.

The BBC said presenter Shaun Ley’s phrasing had been “unscripted” and “apologised for the offence caused”.

The item focused on the decision of the four artists nominated for the Turner Prize to share the award between them.

Discussing their decision on Tuesday night, Ley said: “Now, this is a bit different from the Booker Prize earlier in the year where the judges couldn’t make up their minds, so they gave it to Margaret Atwood and another author, who shared the prize between them.”

A BBC spokesman said: “Our presenter was speaking live when he made the comparison between the Turner and Booker prize results.

“This part of the item was unscripted and he didn’t say Bernardine Evaristo’s name at the time. We apologise to her for the offence caused.”

  • Booker Prize shared by Atwood and Evaristo – BBC News
  • Four share Turner Prize after plea from nominees

Viewing figures show around 191,000 people were watching the news channel at the time.

A clip was uploaded to Twitter by a campaign group which promotes diversity in literature, who described Ley’s comments as “not good enough”.

Evaristo herself then urged her 12,000 plus Twitter followers to share the video, commenting: “How quickly and casually they have removed my name from history – the first black woman to win it. This is what we’ve always been up against, folks.”

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Entertainment

KSI: ‘I wanted to make my parents proud through YouTube’

Published

on

By


KSI on Top Gear

Image caption

KSI appeared on Top Gear in January

YouTuber KSI has said his parents were initially disappointed with his decision not to go to university.

The 26-year-old explained his mum and dad had put their savings into sending him to private school in the hope he would become a lawyer or doctor.

Speaking to Louis Theroux on Radio 4’s Grounded podcast, KSI said he “didn’t want to let his parents down”.

“But eventually I decided, ‘you know what, screw it. I’m going to make them proud through the whole YouTube.’

“As long as I can get rid of all their debts and make their lives comfortable, that’s all that matters.”

KSI joined YouTube in 2009 and initially uploaded videos of himself playing games such as Fifa.

He grew his following over several years and is now one of the site’s most popular personalities, with 21 million subscribers.

In recent years, he has broken into the UK top 10 with his own rap singles and also taken part in boxing matches with other YouTubers such as Logan Paul.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionYouTuber KSI told BBC Radio 5 Live that a potential fight with Jake Paul needs to happen.

KSI said he struggled “for a couple of years” with the anguish his parents felt about his decision not to go to university.

“My parents saved up, worked hard to put us in private school and to make us go into university to be a lawyer or doctor, for me to just turn my back on them and just go, ‘no I want to do this’.”

YouTube ‘goldmine’

Speaking on an episode of Grounded released on Monday, KSI said his mum “just screamed” after he got a disappointing A-level result.

“I’ve never heard her scream so loud and she was just throwing glasses everywhere. My dad was just disappointed, my dad just looked on the ground and he just didn’t know what to say or do. It was quite hard, it just crushed me.

“So I said that I would try it again but my campus they didn’t allow it, so they just kicked me out. My parents decided the next best thing was an international baccalaureate, that I should try that.”

The international baccalaureate diploma is a two-year educational programme aimed at 16-to-19-year-olds, which provides a qualification to help with entry into higher education and is recognised by many universities.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionKSI says he was “baffled” at his boxing match against fellow YouTuber Logan Paul ending in a draw

KSI did that for 18 months but said a key turning point was when he found out his YouTube earnings meant he was making more money than one of his college lecturers.

“I remember I asked a teacher, this is how I made this month, it was about £1,500 and I remember him telling me ‘that’s more than I make’.

“I looked at it and I thought, that’s it, YouTube is the one, it is the goldmine. I need to push and push because I know I can become something and make my parents proud.”

Asked by Theroux if reports that he is now worth around £16 million are true, KSI said: “I guess, I am wealthy yes. I’ve been doing YouTube for 10-plus years, I had a lot of money coming from different angles, in different areas so it makes sense for me to be worth eight figures yeah.”

Follow us on Facebook, or on Twitter @BBCNewsEnts. If you have a story suggestion email





Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Cinema signs become a creative canvas in pandemic times

Published

on

By


Normally a space for displaying film times, cinema signs have seen a wave of creativity in the United States during the coronavirus pandemic.

Witty customised signage has appeared reflecting the cinema owners love of films, their humour and concerns.

Talking Movies’ Tom Brook reports.

Talking Movies can be seen on BBC World News



Source link

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Actor Michael Angelis dies aged 76

Published

on

By


Michael Angelis

Actor Michael Angelis, known for his role in TV dramas such as Boys from the Blackstuff, and for narrating Thomas The Tank Engine, has died at the age of 76.

He died suddenly while at home with his wife on Saturday, his agent said.

The Liverpool-born actor lent his voice to children’s favourite Thomas and Friends for 13 series after taking over from Beatle star Ringo Starr in 1991.

He also appeared as Mickey Startup in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Image caption

Angelis (right) appeared in the influential 1980s drama Boys from the Blackstuff

Image caption

He also featured in the BBC drama Good Cop with Warren Brown in 2012

He starred alongside Bernard Hill and Julie Walters in the Bafta-winning 1980s series Boys From The Blackstuff, which highlighted the hardships of unemployment.

Angelis also had roles in Minder, The Liver Birds, Z Cars and Good Cop.

Image caption

Julie Walters and Michael Angelis played a couple struggling with poverty in Boys from the Blackstuff

He was married to Coronation Street actress Helen Worth, who plays Gail Platt, from 1991 to 2001, and later married Jennifer Khalastchi.

Paying tribute to him on social media, comedian Matt Lucas described Angelis as “one of the greatest TV actors I’ve ever seen”.

Lucas said: “His work with (screenwriter) Alan Bleasdale was tremendous. What a loss.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending