Connect with us

Haiti

Bahamas Government and Carnival Corporation Sign Agreement for Multi-Million-Dollar Cruise Port in Hurricane-Battered Island

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis (left) and Giora Israel, Carnival Corporation’s Senior Vice-President/Global Port and Destination Development, with signed Heads of Agreements for Freeport Cruise Port and Half Moon Cay (expansion) developments. (Photo Credit: Yontalay Bowe)

GRAND BAHAMA, The Bahamas,
Thursday September 26, 2019
– The Government has signed an agreement with
Carnival for the $100 million-dollar development of a cruise port in Freeport
in hurricane-hit Grand Bahama.

And Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis said the signing was
significant in the restoration and recovery of Grand Bahama following Hurricane
Dorian’s devastation of that island along with Abaco earlier this month.

“A major part of reconstruction, which has become even more
urgent, is the ongoing economic recovery and revitalization of Grand Bahama,” he
said yesterday.

“The Government expected to sign a Heads of Agreement with
Carnival Grand Bahama Investment Limited and the Carnival Corporation for a new
cruise port a few weeks ago. Because of Hurricane Dorian the initial date for
signing had to be postponed. I am pleased that we are able to have today’s
signing to help in the restoration and recovery of Grand Bahama.”

Carnival Corporation has agreed to develop a new island
destination on Grand Bahama on 329 acres of land in Sharp Rock in Freeport,
which is the second largest city in The Bahamas. The cruise port will be the
largest Carnival cruise port in the world.

The new cruise port will lead to significant job creation in
the construction phase as well as long-term, said Prime Minister Minnis.

“There will be significant opportunities for business
development and entrepreneurship by Bahamians. 
The new port will result in greater Bahamian ownership in terms of a
range of business opportunities,” he added.

When completed, the new port is expected to bring millions
more tourists to Grand Bahama each year. It will include aquatic facilities,
food and beverage pavilions, restaurants and nightclubs, a shopping plaza, zip
lines and sports facilities, miniature golf course, park areas, open air
concert facilities and a transportation hub.

The Government also signed an agreement with Carnival for
the further development of Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador), a private island
owned by Holland America Line which uses it as a port of call for the cruise
ships it operates in the region. The expansion includes the construction of a
cruise pier on the north end of Half Moon Cay, as well as supporting landside
facilities at the pier site.

The capital investment will total $80 million, and will
include the construction of aquatic facilities, beach restoration, restaurants
and nightclubs, a shopping plaza, sports and entertainment facilities, nature trails
and the development of park and/or natural reserve areas.

Both heads of agreements will be tabled in the House of
Assembly.

“In order to rebuild Abaco and Grand Bahama, we have to spur economic development throughout the country,” said Prime Minister Minnis. “We must also accelerate economic projects on Grand Bahama and begin rebuilding on Abaco as soon as is possible.”

Click here to receive news via email from Caribbean360. (View sample)

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world – CNN

Published

on

By

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world  CNN

Source: Source link

Continue Reading

Haiti

Haïti – FLASH : Plus de 2,500 cas, hausse dans 8 départements

Published

on

By


Haïti – FLASH : Plus de 2,500 cas, hausse dans 8 départements
03/06/2020 05:16:48

Haïti - FLASH : Plus de 2,500 cas, hausse dans 8 départements

Le Ministère de la Santé Publique informe que 281 nouveaux cas ont été confirmés en Haïti (la veille : +102), pour un total de 2,507 cas sur l’ensemble du territoire national (40.7% de femmes et 59.3% d’hommes) depuis le premier cas (19 mars 2020 https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30319-haiti-sante-origine-des-2-premiers-cas-de-covid-19-en-haiti.html ).

3 nouveaux décès ont été enregistrés : 2 dans l’Artibonite et 1 dans le Nord-Est, portant le total à 48.

Le nombre de cas actifs (moins décès et guérisons) est maintenant de 2,435 cas (+12,89%) +278 cas en 24h (la veille : +101)

Nombre de cas suspects : 5,562 cas (+5.54%) +292 (la veille : +26)

Tous les détails dans notre bulletin quotidien de 11h00 a.m.

Lire aussi :
https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30928-haiti-covid-19-bulletin-quotidien-2-juin-2020.html
https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30922-haiti-flash-2-226-cas-le-covid-19-poursuit-sa-progression.html
https://www.haitilibre.com/article-30319-haiti-sante-origine-des-2-premiers-cas-de-covid-19-en-haiti.html

S/ HaïtiLibre

Twitter
Facebook
Rss

Envoyer l'article à...
Nouvelles du Jour...

Read in English

Réagissez à cet article
Pseudo :
Email :

Votre adresse email ne sera pas divulguée – Commentaire refusé si votre adresse email est fausse