Newly elected Prime Minister Terrance Drew declared Monday, August 08, 2022, a public holiday in St. Kitts and Nevis.
“I would like to announce that August 08, which is next Monday, be declared a holiday as part of the celebration of the victory of our party.”
Drew made the announcement following his official swearing-in as the Federation’s fourth prime minister at Government House on Saturday, August 06.
The granting of a public holiday following the outcome of the Federal Elections in St. Kitts and Nevis is in keeping with a longstanding tradition.
SKNLP “back in power”
After being out of office for seven years, St Kitts and Nevis Labour Party (SKNLP) is back after winning 6 of the 11 seats that were contested during the snap elections on the twin island Federation.
- Drew was declared the winner in Constituency #8 taking 2,950 votes gathering 60.2 % of the votes cast;
- Dr. Denzil Douglas won in Constituency # 6 with 1926 votes compiling 82.2 % of votes cast;
- Konris Maynard was announced the winner in Constituency #3 with 1, 747 votes, amassing 64.8 % of the votes cast;
- Marsha Henderson won in Constituency #2 with 1841 votes getting 57.3 % of the votes cast;
- Dr. Geoffrey Hanley emerged victorious in Constituency #1 with 1997 votes, totalling 60 % of votes cast; and,
- Samal Duggins triumphed in Constituency # 4 with 1269 votes accumulating 54.1% of the votes cast.
Former Prime Minister Timothy Harris was the lone successful candidate for the People’s Labour Party (PLP), as well as Shawn Richards of the People’s Action Movement (PAM) while Mark Brantley’s Concerned Citizens Movement (CCM) still won all three seats in Nevis.
In his remarks, Drew thanked the people for placing its trust in him and his team when it was called upon to choose the country’s next government.
“It was indeed an esteemed pleasure to be given the opportunity by you, the people of St. Kitts and Nevis, to be your Prime Minister. I consider it an office of service, and I also recognize that it is an office that I do not own, and I am only here at the behest of the people.”
He pledged to work closely with the sister island of Nevis to resolve any issues to bring the Federation closer to together.
Credit: Source link