Chairman of the Election Supervisory Committee of the People’s National Movement (PNM) Anthony Roberts in a letter to Attorney Egon Embrack assured him that the electoral process in the PNM is transparent.
Embrack is representing PNM political leader candidate in the party’s internal party elections, Karen Nunez-Teshiera.
In letters dated October 14 and 20, Nunez-Teshiera’s team had written to Roberts demanding that he provide answers on the transparency of the election process.
Nunez-Teshiera’s team sent the letter with Roberts’ responses to the media.
These are the excerpts:
Chairman of the Election Supervisory Committee of the People’s National Movement Anthony Roberts.
1. Question: What is the justification for the nine-day electoral process from November 26 to December 4?
Answer: Your client ought to be familiar with the internal process of the PNM and its constitution. The decision to conduct the election on November 26 and 27 and December 4 was a decision taken by the Central Executive of the party on August 10, 2022.
2. At the end of the day, what will happen to the ballot boxes? How will they be handled?
The process immediately preceding the close of the respective voting days is that the respective boxes with ballots will be sealed, signed and safely transported to the secure location to be accompanied by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS) and members of the Election and Supervisory Committee (ESC). The ESC is currently completing a document entitled “The Guidelines to the PNM’s elections 2022”. A copy will be provided to all candidates no later than November 2.
3. Will the ballot boxes be transported from one location to another for safekeeping? If so, by whom?
The boxes with ballots will be transported to another secret location for safekeeping. This will be done by members of the TTPS and ESC.
4. What detail will be used to transport the ballot boxes? TTPS detail or personal detail?
The boxes with ballots will be transported by a police detail.
5. Are the ballot boxes to be returned the next day to the polling station? What is the procedure?
New empty boxes will be provided on each day of voting.
6. After voting is completed on December 4, 2022, what is the procedure or methodology for treating with ballot boxes?
At the end of the voting process on December 4, 2022, the respective boxes with ballots will be securely transported from the Convention to the site of the counting station.
7. Where will the ballot boxes be? What safe, secure and fair procedures, policies and protocols are in place for the safe-keeping of the ballot boxes?
The sealed boxes with ballots will be stored at a secured secret location throughout the duration of the election process and shall only be removed on the day allocation to the counting of the casted ballots.
8. What are the requirements for new registrants to vote in the upcoming internal elections?
A decision was taken by the General Council of the People’s National Movement (PNM) that August 24, 2022, was the cut-off date for persons submitting applications to become a member of the PNM and to be able to participate in the internal party elections.
Credit: Source link